Are all canned corn cans sweet corn?

Options
Yesterday I discovered corn has a lot of natural sugar. I never thought about it. I'm learning here to read labels.
I eat Green Giant sweet corn cans from Sam's club. If I go to wallmart, can I buy regular can corn instead of sweet corn?
I also wonder if peas and green bean cans contain a lot natural sugars.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure all corn sold for eating as corn (as opposed to pop corn) is sweet corn. It's naturally sweet, as are peas. Green beans aren't sweet imo.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Eat the sweet corn and revel in nature's candy :tongue: Just check labels for *added* sugar. No need for that. I personally prefer frozen corn - no added sugar or salt, and the flavor and texture is better.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "Sweet corn" is the soft eating corn versus "field corn" which is the hard stuff used for other corn products. About the only "field corn" you'd find in a can is hominy (field corn that has been treated with lye). Here's a site with pictures showing the differences: http://www.myfearlesskitchen.com/difference-between-sweet-corn-and-field-corn/
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire can when I was really hungry (cold). Looked healthy. I have so much to learn.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I ate an entire can when I was really hungry (cold). Looked healthy. I have so much to learn.

Why are you questioning its healthiness? It's naturally occurring sugar...
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, I used to drink apple juice and stopped because of all the sugar in it. I figured corn is the same. I don't know. I think what people are telling me is to just watch the calories, which actually makes life easier.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Apple juice is comparatively a lot of sugar, from a lot of apples, with no fibre. You wouldn't eat the amount of apples you'd "drink" in one sitting.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to drink apple juice and stopped because of all the sugar in it. I figured corn is the same. I don't know. I think what people are telling me is to just watch the calories, which actually makes life easier.

Yes, unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar, calories are all that matter for weight loss.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I try not to drink my calories, because it adds up so fast and I'd rather eat food! But if you want apple juice and can make it fit in your daily calorie allowance, have apple juice.

Sugar is not evil.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think all canned corn is sweet corn except maybe hominy. As said above sweet corn doesn't have anything to do with whether sugar is added or not. It just means it's not pop corn or field corn, aka dent corn, or any of the other varieties that wouldn't be helpful to mention here. We do eat dent corn but it is usually dried and ground into corn meal made into corn bread, grits, polenta and corn liquor like bourbon or white lightnin, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I discovered corn has a lot of natural sugar. I never thought about it. I'm learning here to read labels.
    I eat Green Giant sweet corn cans from Sam's club. If I go to wallmart, can I buy regular can corn instead of sweet corn?
    I also wonder if peas and green bean cans contain a lot natural sugars.

Regular corn for eating IS sweet corn.

Non sweet corn is fed to animals or made into ethanol or used in various other industrial uses (including lots of processed foods, like corn oil).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

As others have said, why wouldn't corn be fine to eat? Juice is a different thing, because you can get a ton of calories without it really being satiating (for many people), since they are liquid and lack fiber. It's not really the sugar (and the sugar amounts is quite different anyway).

I eat tons of corn in August, because it's in season and I'm in a corn growing state and get a farm box and am overrun with it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Canned corn is disgusting. Lol. But if you like it good on you. I much prefer frozen or from the farmers market, so much tastier. And yes good corn is sweet naturally.

Also I find carrots to be sweet.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Canned corn has its uses. I throw it in salsas and chili.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Don't worry about sugar unless you are diabetic. Log your calories and stay within your goal for the day. You will lose weight. Please let that sink in!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Canned corn has its uses. I throw it in salsas and chili.

It can be a good addition to cornbread, too.