Question about mesurments

Options
Hello,

So I took my measurements this morning and well I can't remember if I took them exactly right.. well seeing the number I second guessed myself. So well it's 10:30 ET and I've had breakfast already and some water. Well I took my measurements for my waist again and it's gone up an inch. Is that right. from the time I took my measurements early this morning after I went to the bathroom and didn't have anything to eat or drink at 7:00 It's gone up an inch?

When is the best time to take measurements and weigh yourself?

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My best advice is do it at the same time everyday, you will get more consistent results. Doing it multiple times a day will just frustrate you. The same goes for different times a day. I can gain 3 pounds when I weight myself at 8:00pm vs 8:00 am
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would only take measurements once per week, measuring yourself throughout the day of course is going to see an increase and from day-to-day even you're only going to see marginal changes. I weigh daily first thing in the morning, naked after the bathroom and before food/drink and take my measurements monthly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

That's the best time to avoid known water weight fluctuations that effect scale and measuring.

And sure it can go up that quick.
  • Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Like I said. I wasn't exactly sure on the measurements I took this morning and I just had time to take them not too long ago and was kind of shocked when I saw the results. I didn't know it would go up that much, but I guess it can. haha now I know.

Thanks again everyone. :)
  • kittiwakeh
    kittiwakeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also bear in mind that when you measure yourself you are measuring your circumference. In inch increase to your circumference roughly equates (we are generally not perfect circles) to an increase in diameter I.e. how wide we are side to side or deep we are front to back of about 1/3 of an inch. So if we were perfect circles that would mean we only would need to add approximately 1/6 of an inch to each side and to your front and to your back to get an increased measurement of 1 inch when you measure yourself. (Of course it isn't as simple as this as we are not perfect circles and we don't expand equally in all directions but you get the idea.

So you can see your abdomen doesn't need to expand by much to get that extra inch. Water you have drunk may now be contained in your bladder rather than spread out in your digestive tract. Food may be concentrated in certain locations (depending on what you have eaten)so making certain parts of you wider than you were a short time earlier.