Has anyone ever been perscribed Toperimate?

Options
Jeckia
Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
Has anyone ever been prescribed toperimate for migraines? I was also told it has a side effect of weight loss. Has anyone had success with this medication with migraines. Did you have weight loss with this medication as well? Are you still taking the medication?

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Keto?
  • Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Keto?

I have not tried that.

• RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was on Topamax (just the brand name version I believe) RX for migraines. I maxed out the dosage safe for me and was going steady w/decreased migraines for almost 2 years. I did lose close to 35# while on it, but the side effects left me intense rebound headaches and increasing other symptoms. My appetite was gone, which wasn't bad (that 35# was probably a bit too much weight to lose at the time). I had to stop taking It though, the negatives outweighed the positives.

Unfortunately, about as fast as I lost that weight, I gained it back. My appetite came back ferociously. There are several side effects, and I would just be cautious with it. Knowing now what I know, even though it was the best med so far for migraines, I wouldn't take it again.

Good luck.

* Edited to say: I am following Keto WOE and migraines have SIGNIFICANTLY decreased, I am in the search for a new maintenance med for migraines, but have been off for the past 2 months and is totally manageable with my abortive meds (Imitrex).
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for years for my migraines, it never had any weight loss effect on me. I know it's been approved as a weight loss drug, but it doesn't work for everyone. And the side effects from it....just for weight loss I would not take it. Considering it is an anti-seizure drug, that would put me off right there.
  • lisabellnc
    lisabellnc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 7 years with pretty good success. And it does decrease your appetite depending on your dosage. Some people have weird side effects. My brother can't take it at all. So if you take it and feel , strange in anyway alert your pharmacist and doctor. He took for 6 days and had to stop. Although, taking this medication and stopping suddenly is a bad idea after a longer period of time. It can be dangerous.
  • GlucoseKitten23
    GlucoseKitten23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I took it about 3 years ago. Weight loss was a side effect I experienced.. probably because everything had a metallic taste to it. I stopped taking it because my hair was coming out in handfuls when id wash it.
    Hope it helps your migraines and you don't experience anything crazy.