Withings Pulse/Fitbit/Body Media - What works for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• aliasbee
    Options
    Hi All,

I have had nothing but horror with the Fitbit Flex. I am awaiting my third replacement unit due to the battery contacts which charge the device not working after 3-4 months of daily use.

I am leaning towards replacing it with the Withings Pulse, but I am confused by the answers I am finding regarding its sync capability. I know MFP does not have an 'official' linkage with the WP at this time, however it sounds like all I would need to do is sync with the Withings app, which *does* sync to MFP.

It doesn't matter to me if the data is not exactly real-time.

Thanks in advance,
    D

So far I have not personally seen any method to transfer steps to MFP. I imagine when they integrate it properly, it will just be an additional data to MFP from the withings app.

I'm hoping for soon. I love my pulse personally, but I have never owned any other activity tracker outside phone apps. I like that it doesn't require network access, so as long as I have my phone, I can be camping in the boonies without signal and sync the steps via blutooth. Battery life is very good and it will let you know via phone notification when it's time to charge it. It doesn't take long to charge either.

One major danger point is there is no clear way to track it down if you misplace it. It would be great if it could beep, or if you could initiate blutooth sync from the phone (you do it from the pulse) in case you misplace it. (Because then you would at least know if it was in your apartment.)

I actually have broken one. I ran a very heavy car over it. It was trashed, but I had to take it apart to tell. It's got some interesting inner organs. A word of warning, the clip is very strong, but it can be knocked out of your pocket without you feeling it. Diagonal pockets I imagine could be a higher threat. (This is how mine ended up under my wheel.) I now clip it to my bra strap with no problem, I don't know where the best place for men would be to clip it. Maybe a waistband would be better?

These of course are probably shared problems with any small device.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have had nothing but horror with the Fitbit Flex. I am awaiting my third replacement unit due to the battery contacts which charge the device not working after 3-4 months of daily use.

I am leaning towards replacing it with the Withings Pulse, but I am confused by the answers I am finding regarding its sync capability. I know MFP does not have an 'official' linkage with the WP at this time, however it sounds like all I would need to do is sync with the Withings app, which *does* sync to MFP.

It doesn't matter to me if the data is not exactly real-time.

Thanks in advance,
    D

I'm considering it, too. The WP site does list MFP as a partner, but maybe they just mean the food logging data gets sent to the Withings site. That's all I really care about.

I've been a Fitbit owner for four years and haven't lost it but would like to upgrade. I tried the Flex last week and it wasn't for me. It was clunky and ugly (to me) and scratched in one day and didn't synch to my Android phone reliably.
  • moto211
    Options
    I just picked up a bodymedia fit link. My 24 hour fitness has the bodybugg link (bodymedia fit link clone) on sale for $49.99. So far I've been very happy with it. I like that it records all of my activity (not just step related) without having to manually input anything. Once I linked mfp to the bmf activity tracker site it automatically pulls my food info so the only thing I manually input is my food intake. I considered the withings pulse but the hrm seemed a bit inconvenient and like most of the competition, it lacks the ability to accurately track non step related activity. I also read somewhere that the pulse's hrm doesn't affect the caloric burn calculation so it's of no use (for me).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    moto- Check your info on the BMF tracking non-step based exercise. I had one years ago and it didn't track that stuff any better than the souped up pedometers. It expected you to manually log any resistance training, cycling, yoga, etc.

I looked more into the Withings Pulse and it's not going to be my next device. I don't think it'll work with my Android phone and it has no PC-synch ability. Plus it's a little boxier than the Fitbits, which I prefer to wear clipped to my bra so the slim design is nicer. Reviewers said the Fitbit One display was nicer, too, plus it has vibrating alarm features. I think I'll see what's for sale in 5 months when I upgrade to a new phone. Maybe Apple's wrist unit will be out.
  • moto211
    Options
    Supposedly the only thing I have to manually log is off body exercise (pretty much anything involving water). As long as its on me and my METS thresholds are configured properly it's supposed to be at least 90% accurate without manual intervention. Going by the first couple of days of use, my total daily caloric burn is close enough to where I think it should be to not feel that need to mess with it.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Supposedly the only thing I have to manually log is off body exercise (pretty much anything involving water). As long as its on me and my METS thresholds are configured properly it's supposed to be at least 90% accurate without manual intervention. Going by the first couple of days of use, my total daily caloric burn is close enough to where I think it should be to not feel that need to mess with it.

All that happens when you mess with your MET thresholds is that is changes the credit you get for moderate or intense exercise (brown or Yellow lines in the app), it does not enter into any calorie calculations. Steps don't either, all of you calories burn come from the sensors used to estimate your Heart rate and your own MET, This is the main reason I love my BodyMedia link. How much you burn for any given number of steps is affected by your fitness level and the speed and incline you are doing the steps at. Calories for "10,000" steps can vary significantly, it was only meant as a general activity goal.
  • moto211
    Options
    All that happens when you mess with your MET thresholds is that is changes the credit you get for moderate or intense exercise (brown or Yellow lines in the app), it does not enter into any calorie calculations. Steps don't either, all of you calories burn come from the sensors used to estimate your Heart rate and your own MET, This is the main reason I love my BodyMedia link. How much you burn for any given number of steps is affected by your fitness level and the speed and incline you are doing the steps at. Calories for "10,000" steps can vary significantly, it was only meant as a general activity goal.

Good to know that the METS threshold does not change the caloric burn. I increased my moderate threshold so I wouldn't get credit for non workout activities and decreased my intense threshold so I would get credit for what I know (based on HR) to be intense workout (running, biking, rowing, etc.) that I was not getting credit for previously. I was worried that I might skew my caloric burn numbers.

I'm really liking the hassle free aspect of using the BMF. Tracking calorie intake is enough of a chore without having to track calories burned too.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started out with a Fitbit Ultra and liked it. Then I forgot to use it a few times, etc. I decided to move on to a BodyMedia. Love it! For the most part it was hidden by my clothes, but I didn't like that it showed when wearing a light weight top. Once the free six month subscription ended, I decided to switch to the Fitbit Flex. Love this! I love that I can wear it 24/7. I did notice some condensation in the little display. I emailed Fitbit and they said that would happen and doesn't hurt it. (I decided to not wear this when taking a shower and no more condensation.) I didn't think I'd use the silent vibration alarm, but then I realized this would work great as a reminder to go for a walk at 10 and 2:30 every work day. (We have a 1/4 mile round trip hallway at work so a coworker and I power walk two round trips in the morning and two in the afternoon.)
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I increased my moderate threshold so I wouldn't get credit for non workout activities and decreased my intense threshold so I would get credit for what I know (based on HR) to be intense workout (running, biking, rowing, etc.) that I was not getting credit for previously.

Exactly what I did. I exercise in zones so as I get more fit I keep tweaking it to match my heart rate I was in.
  • shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Flex does a good job of measuring your steps and approximate TDEE exluding intentional exercise, during exercise it registers too high for me but for general activity it's seems to be pretty close, i use that in combination with a Polar FT70 HRM which i use during gym workouts.

Fitbit lasts for 2-3 days of regular checking before needing to recharge and syncs with MFP, Fitibit software on any device that supports them, it charges via USB 2 or 3, but the bad thing is the bit the unit plugs into the charger seems to be an ill fit so it doesn't always register it's plugged in and you have to fiddle around with it occasionally to start with and more so as it ages for me i also find the strap is not very good it either has to be too tight or more likely to get caught on something and come undone it only has two push pins holding it on your wrist which can come undone when you least expect it.

The Polar FT70 tracks your heart rate, HR zones, VO2 tests, can tailor your own weekly Training goals, and is easy to maintain, tho they seem to be a bit hit and miss on whether they die for no apparent reason, the watch is also a basic sports watch aswell.

Flame all ya want people the numbers don't lie using that and a combination of controlled diet over 32Kgs lost in under a year (6 months of that were intentionally slower lower). my VO2 tests have gone from about a 20 (very unfit or over 70 years old) - currently sitting on 50 at last test which is 10 levels above the norm for a 40-49 year old.