Weight gain due to muscle mass?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    To answer some of the questions I am trying to slim down. I am doing 2 hours of MMA gym a week and three hours of pole class a week. I'm also doing about 1/2 hour of yoga a day (I don't really count that as excercise though) my pants are starting to fall off but the scale says I gained 7 pounds in two weeks. And yes I am measuring everything I eat very carefully. Mostly I just wanna know if I am gaining weight due to muscle mass how to know the best way to track my progress towards sliming down

You aren't gaining any significant amount of muscle if you are truly eating at a deficit. (And not 7 lbs or more from some MMA and the like in 2 weeks. Muscle does weigh more than fat given equal volumes, but that has zero to do with why people aren't losing when they think they are on a deficit, since even not at a deficit you don't put on a lb of muscle per week, let alone more.)

You also did not gain 7 lbs of fat in two weeks.

Sounds like water fluctuations. How often do you weigh and when did you start?
  • MichiM1
    MichiM1 Posts: 3 Member
    It is difficult to tell if you are in a deficit or not. I looked at your food log for 7/26-8/9 (15 days) & I found 10 days of no logging & 4 days of what I considered partials (no entries in 2 out of the 4 categories). You need to log every day to see whether you maintain a deficit or not.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I am currently gaining weight and I enter everything super faithfully I excercise 1 hour a day and don't include it in my calorie budget but I'm gaining weight. Is it really true that muscle weighs more than fat? And if so what's the best way to see how much fat I'm burning without a scale

Not really. We don't gain muscle very fast, especially females! Also, since the body is 2/3 water you have to take that into consideration. The liver alone can fluctuate several pounds on any given day just doing it's job, then you have all the other metabolism processes (pathways) doing the various things with carbs/fats/protein/nutrients with all the elements and compounds (water, sodium, carbon, nitrogen, and all the things that make up macros and micros) that produce water and use oxygen, etc. One or two pounds is not relevant by itself. The body weight scale for fat loss is only useful as a trend over time, usually only useful for every month, occasionally weekly.

Focus on the process - food intake. Give it consistency and a true calorie deficit over time, 30/60/90 days. If no changes, tweak it down slightly, then wait and focus on the process again. The scale doesn't make it happen, well actually the food scale does - focus on the food scale not the body weight scale. Results will come later.

• seerofsorrow
    seerofsorrow Posts: 6 Member
    To answer I'm eating 1,500 calories a day and I'm wondering if I shouldn't go down to 1,000 calories a day. And I've upped my excercise to 6 hours of pole dancing and 3 hours of mma a week. And once again I don't count any of these calories towards what I can eat each day
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    To answer I'm eating 1,500 calories a day and I'm wondering if I shouldn't go down to 1,000 calories a day. And I've upped my excercise to 6 hours of pole dancing and 3 hours of mma a week. And once again I don't count any of these calories towards what I can eat each day

the answer is not to eat less and exercise more. thats one sign of an eating disorder.not to mention if you work out more and eat less you are putting your body under too much stress which will result in health issues and possible injuries.