Volume Eating - Nutrient Dense Eating

So for years I have eaten small or almost no meals through out the day but then I will eat a salad full of raw veggies the size of a house or I will roast veggies or spiralize them to no end for dinner. I was worried something was wrong with this. Then I began doing some research and discovered that healthy "volume eating" is actually a thing! I am so glad I am not alone. I do incorporate proteins into this meal but I LOAD UP on the veggies.

What are your favorite volume eating recipes or ideas?

TIA! :)

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Well developed Volume Eaters Thread on the front page right as you posted! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    For breakfast volume I really love frozen berries. For about 60 calories they fill a bowl, then you can top them with low fat greek yoghurt or Skyr and a sprinking of low sugar granola or flaked almonds and you have a huge breakfast for only 200-300 calories depending on how much topping you add.

I also love veggie stir fry with lean beef bavette. Use all your calories on a griddled bavette steak and then add red, yellow and orange peppers, salad onions, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and sugar snap peas or asparagus, green beans, chard and mushrooms cooked in a teaspoon of sesame oil with crushed garlic, soy sauce and lemon or lime juice.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    Breakfast is steel cut oats with a baked apple, flaxseed, chia seed, cashew milk, cinnamon, and half serving of non-fat Fage yogurt. Lunch is a salad in a mixing bowl with spring greens, cabbage, carrot, tomato, red pepper, cucumber, jicama, green onion, parsley, basil, Bolthouse dressing, and usually 1 cup of beans/legumes. Dinner's half a plate of vegetables and protein or two servings of chili/soup. I just finished stuffed zuchinni taco boats and maple dijon brussel sprouts. Snack's a big bowl of popped popcorn with smoked paprika, garlic powder, and tumeric. Even my tea is big, I use a huge coffee mug with two tea bags.

The only downfall of eating like this is if I'm not careful when eating out I'll eat too much since I'm used to a lot of food.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    I am a volume eater as well! I do a veg-packed salad or soup for lunch most days (or leftovers). There's a book called Volumetrics that you will probably relate to if you are a volume eater. For recipes, I just did a revamp of the Cabbage Soup Diet recipe that you might like: https://summeryule.com/2020/03/11/best-cabbage-soup-diet-recipe/

It's under 500 calories per serving but I made the servings so big you must use a stockpot to cook all of the veg. LMAO Totally agree with eating out being difficult w/o being careful.

aigaglfl05xc.jpeg
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Breakfast is steel cut oats with a baked apple, flaxseed, chia seed, cashew milk, cinnamon, and half serving of non-fat Fage yogurt. Lunch is a salad in a mixing bowl with spring greens, cabbage, carrot, tomato, red pepper, cucumber, jicama, green onion, parsley, basil, Bolthouse dressing, and usually 1 cup of beans/legumes. Dinner's half a plate of vegetables and protein or two servings of chili/soup. I just finished stuffed zuchinni taco boats and maple dijon brussel sprouts. Snack's a big bowl of popped popcorn with smoked paprika, garlic powder, and tumeric. Even my tea is big, I use a huge coffee mug with two tea bags.

The only downfall of eating like this is if I'm not careful when eating out I'll eat too much since I'm used to a lot of food.

We are tea twins! LARGE mug, two tea bags. 😃
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    It's better to consume smaller amounts of more nutrient dense foods to reach your nutrition requirements than it is to volume eat lesser nutrient dense foods.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I recommend a Pitaya bowl it’s awesome
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited March 2020
    It's better to consume smaller amounts of more nutrient dense foods to reach your nutrition requirements than it is to volume eat lesser nutrient dense foods.

Actually, many less energy dense foods... aka fruits and vegetables... are far more nutrient dense than many calorie dense foods. It's all a matter of what works for individuals. Would you say a whole food, no flour or oil vegan would be unhealthy? What evidence of a reputable source do you have to defend your submission?
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    I toss zucchini with olive or truffle oil, spices, and parmesan and roast it, we do this several times a week. I'm really going to miss the cold weather when I can just toss all of my veggies in the oven. I make a sweet potato hash with egg whites for breakfast and I plump up my salads with berries and apple pieces.