Body analysis scan results (what now?)

Options
Hi!

I had a body analysis scan done and I am having a hard time determining what's the best course of action based on the results. My BMR is about 1400, and based on the results and how many times I workout per week the guy said I should aim to eat about 2100 cal per day for weight loss. I had to double check with him lol to make sure he understood that my goal was weight loss, because that sounded like a ton of calories to consume for weight loss for someone who is extremely short and still have a lot of weight to lose.

He explained that the goal was to see my muscle mass go up overtime so that my BMR would increase and therefore burn more calories. Ok, so yes I know that having more muscle will allow you to burn more calories so I can agree with that. But if my BMR is 1400 and let's say during a 1 hr cardio session I burn on average 500 calories and I eat 2100 cal it just seems like the deficit is so small!

So if I'm at a deficit, albeit small if I follow his advice, I won't be building muscle mass correct? Don't I need to eat a surplus for that to occur?

It just seems like based on his suggestion I would be doing more of a body recomposition, and with me still having so much weight to lose I'm trying to understand what would be the best thing to do. I'm currently grossing on average 1500-1600 calories.

Any insight?

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It's a trade off, as you add muscle... your body will begin to consume fat... a slower process for sure, but as you gain lean muscle... you will also increase your energy level... and begin to do more... forget the scale... take measurements... my weight hasn't changed but I have lost inches around my waist. So overall body fat is reducing... lifting and cardio combined and eating healthier food without depriving yourself will get you where you want to be
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns just by being alive; it does NOT count normal daily movement or purposeful exercise - so yes, you could easily have a calorie allotment of 2100 a day and lose weight. I maintain on 2500cal avg (female, 5'3", 149lbs)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started losing weight at 208 lbs eating between 2000 and 2400 kcal. I'm at 187 lbs now and aiming to cut down to 1900 this month. Assuming your idea of "small" and "so much weight to lose" are similar to my numbers, and assuming you are serious about counting as accurately as possible, you'll lose weight on 2100. And it sounds like you are definitely working out more than me. Conservative goals are sustainable goals, is my mantra.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! Yea so I think I had it right if I do the 2100 calories I will probably still lose, just slower.

And yes measurements are in the same neighborhood as your current ones @MegaMooseEsq