Best ab exercise?

Options
I'm trying to add to my weightlifting workouts. Doing sit ups, dead bugs, McGill curl ups, short planks, because long ones hurt my back, and leg lifts. Opinions please, Best bang for the buck?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Crawling planks are awesome. On a slick floor wearing socks, or the use of slide pads (basically furniture movers) get into plank position with your feet a bit wider than your shoulders. Then crawl trying to only move your arms (toes are on the pads), pull yourself forward about 10 feet, then go backwards about 10 feet. If you can only hold for 30 seconds, that's fine. Rest between them if you need to.

Also sounds like you should be doing some lower back workouts if your back suffers during a plank. Body weight hyperextensions are really good for that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love pallof presses
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If you're not currently doing heavy squats and deadlifts, i'd start with those.

If you need more help, state your overall goal, and the strength program you're following. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do all of the ab exercises , a different one each workout.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    In my experience, no ab specific exercises are required.

Developed my visible 6 pack by just losing wt/fat and doing compound weight lifting and body weight exercises, namely DLs, SQTs, OHPS, BPs, pullups, pushups and dips, which all engage your core to one degree or another.