Eating too much sugar?

NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
On my MFP food diary, my sugar intake is always red despite me having what I consider a reasonably healthy diet. The sugar recommendation confuses me because the almost entirety of the sugar is coming form fruit, which is different to added sugars like putting a tsp of granulated sugar in your tea. I have however apparently consumed 81g of sugar a day which is just over 16 teaspoons. That seems like a LOT. Should I consider eating less fruit to reduce that sugar intake?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    No you shouldn't, ignore it. MFP doesn't differentiate between free and added sugars.

I track fibre instead.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Funny how we all learn this one by one by one. They told me to only watch added sugars.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I don't track sugar
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Personally I see sugar as sugar whether from fruit or the sugar bowl. I choose fruit more often because of the nutrients it brings along with it, but it's all still sugar.
  • katherineual
    katherineual Posts: 1 Member
    I'm pre-diabetic. In my case, sugar is sugar.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit your sugar intake, I wouldn't worry about it
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 437 Member
    My diet contains lots of fruit and a moderate amount of roots and grains. Fruits are easier for me to digest so usually my sugar intake is around 80-170g ! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    If you have a medical reason to be concerned then track it - otherwise I find it more useful to track fiber.