I need some help please

Options
Hi, I have been lifting weights for a few years now. I am trying to put on muscle and build strength since I am underweight. I have followed a program from Bodybuilding.com and also tried Stronglifts 5x5. I feel that I never make progress. I was sick for a few months and am starting to finally be able to workout again 3-4 days a week. I just feel stuck and don't know how to get where I want to be. I am 5'2 99lbs. I am eating 1850 calorie day...150g protein, 226g carbs, 55g fats. I am not sure if I'm still a beginner or what kind of programs to try. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you are getting stronger, then you muscles are getting bigger. It's hard to detect without a before and after picture.

Also, if you aren't gaining weight, up the calories, particularly the fats. You are eating plenty of protein. You could be as little as two pieces of cheese a day from gaining some weight!
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5t was the first thing i did in the gym. Are you sure you stuck to it or at least gave it a shot over a course of 3 months at least?
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you aren't gaining and you are new to lifting either something is wrong with your training and/or diet. Are you counting your calories and not overestimating?
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Can you share a little more info?
    I am guessing you are Amanda...a girl?
    Sometimes age has something to do with the inability to gain weight...and hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with your recent illness...with that said if you've been tracking your calories for more then a month,I would suggest you raise them if you would like to gain weight. I think you're getting more than enough protein so maybe look at adding some healthy fats....such as nuts...macadamia nuts are my favorites...or avocado.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories if you still have problems with gaining weight. Set your goal weight, adjust amount of calories for it and dont be afraid of eating pizzas, burgers etc. :) and eat whatever you want to, but still continuing workout routine. Btw, you eat way too much protein, with your weight (44kg) it's almost 4 grams per kg, you may not even digest so much and that is not healthily on a long run. You need something between 1.75g - 2g per kg of your body weight which in your case at the moment 80g of proteins would be enough. You can eat more fatty food if you like. But set you goal weight and adjust calorie intake, if 1850 is not enough then increase.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    First things first. You will need to eat more calories to gain weight. If you are eating 1850 and not gaining, then either you are not eating 1850 or 1850 is not enough. My bet is you aren't eating 1850. Thin people tend to overestimate the amount of food they eat. Either way the solution is the same, eat more. Up your calories.

Second. If you are not making progress on a lifting program in your situation you either look to your program or your calories. The calories will solve gaining weight.

If your lifting program does not progressively overload and does not have lifting with at least 60% of your 1RM to within 3-5 reps to failure, it is not as good as it could be.

A few things to look for in any program.
    Should be based on the major lifts, squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, rows.
    Should lift between 60% and 90% of your 1RM.
    Should go to 3-5 reps to failure of form for each set.
    Should have 3-5 sets per exercise.
    Should have 60-120 reps for big muscle groups per week and 30-60 for small muscle groups.

In your case, eat more and if that doesn't work, eat more.

Also, I agree that your protein is too high. Replace it with carbs/fat so your protein is around 0.8 g/lb body weight. Carbs 2g/lb body weight. Fat the rest.
  • amandap1222
    amandap1222 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I am sure that I am eating 1800-1900 calories each day bc I keep track and make sure I do. I will increase calories and lower my protein. I got my macros from a calculator on bodybuilding.com and it said to eat that much protein.