Most miles walked in a day?

Options
Once every 2 weeks, i try and challenge myself to see how far i can walk in a day, ive been doing it a few months now and my highest has been 18.52 miles! Im determined to walk 26 miles! Just curious to see what the most anyone has walked in a day? Thanks guy's

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    13 miles, but it was a walking event...I wouldn't have the time in my day to put many miles in walking.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Loumossmfp78 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    13 miles is still impressive @cwolfman13, i spend my day off work doing it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge, somewhere in the ballpark of 15 (from Cottonwood Camp to High Bridge), with a heavy pack.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    About 25 miles I think, while hiking in the Yorkshire Dales. It should have been 20 miles, but we took a wrong turn and ended up doing a few extra miles.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Impressive numbers, all of you. I know I've done 20 miles in a day carrying a backpack, but that was probably 25 years ago. Recently my high has been in the 10 mile range, but I'm not sure exactly how far.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    50 miles, although largely running, only about 10 miles were walking.

Walking with a bergan, probably only 30 miles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    30, it was a charity walk.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    12 miles. I was in Paris trying to see everything in a couple days.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    About 40, because my Jeep broke down in the middle of nowhere and it was about 40 miles to get to civilization so that I could get help. Didn't help that there wasn't any cell phone signal and I was off roading it, so no other vehicles as there was no road. My feet were blistered really bad by the time I got to the nearest phone.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    About 21 miles.

The map we'd consulted had the mileage numbers transposed in error. It said the trail was 12 miles when in reality it was 21. (Confirmed later by checking other versions of the map.) So we had planned properly for 12 miles, no big deal for us, but that 12 miles just kept stretching on and on, until finally the sun disappeared around mile 18 or so. It didn't make sense...We ended up walking (carefully) out of the mountains after dark. It's slow-going after the sun goes down and you can't see the trail anymore. So double-check maps you find on the internet, kids. Lesson learned. It was an interesting (and kinda fun) adventure, though... :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Since I started keeping track 2 years ago ... 13 km is my longest walking day. :)

But ... I've done quite a lot of walking over the years, so it's possible that I've walked more than that in a day, especially during the years when I didn't own a motor vehicle. And ... walking isn't my main "sport".
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    17 miles, but that was nearly 2 years ago... definitely don't think I could do that right now, plus it takes all day haha! That is so cool you are up to 18.52, keep us updated!!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @NorthCascades i think walking 15 miles is an achievement never mind having a heavy pack!
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Since I've been walking daily my best was 27,256 steps or 22.7km. Just a few days ago. I plan to get past 30,000 steps one day soon.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 oh no thats something that i would do , bet its made you remember the trip and makes you laugh now!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @gdsmit1 wow 20 miles with a backpack is amazing, the only thing i carry is my phone for music, maybe my next challenge should be with a backpack!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal wow 50 miles weather its running or walking is amazing, you must have some stamina! Least i know my 26 miles is possible!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @TavistockToad ive never thought of doing a charity walk, maybe id have more of a incentive and it would push me more, how long did it take you?
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @nutmegoreo id love to go to paris,. You dont feel like your walking that much when your enjoying yourself and sight seeing do you!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @jenilla1 this is why even if I have a route planned by someone else (internet or book of walks) I will ALWAYS take an OS map and replot the route on the map so I can check notable features etc. The OS map is also to scale with grid lines so a quick thumb count will confirm distances.

Having said all of that, I recently did a walk with my sister as an out and back of about 6 miles. After my GPS watch said we’d already walked five miles and hadn’t yet turned around we figured we’d very much missed the turnaround point. Given that it was a radio mast I don’t know how we’d not seen it (too much chatting!!) so our 6 mile walk became 11 miles!! But at least with the OS map we were able to see exactly where we were and where we’d gone wrong. The ice cream at the end tasted all the better….