So I'm on vacation and my diet is basically totally fubar

Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely a difference between allowing yourself to enjoy your vacation and totally reverting back to the habits that got us here in the first place.

OP - I know it's tough but if you really care about losing weight and keeping it off, you've got to understand that it requires a lifestyle change towards moderation. It seems that you definitely understand what 'excess' looks like but it's totally up to you to remove that type of behavior from your life. Nobody else can do it for you.

Do your best over the rest of vacation and get back on the horse. You might want to consider reducing your deficit target in order to give yourself an easier adjustment towards a lifestyle of moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Exercise a little self control...eat a cheeseburger, not two...
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Don't sweat it too much. If you gain weight, you gain weight. You can lose it again. While it might feel like a big thing, it's just a small setback that you can deal with. Remember that you can keep trying the next meal, the next day, etc.

You basically have two choices:
    1) Self control.
    2) Letting it go, and just enjoying the vacation.

I'd go with one. You can limit yourself some, and still enjoy your vacation. Have 2 slices of pizza instead. Have more broccoli, and less potato wedges. Be mindful with your food. If you're going to have lasagna, have one cheeseburger. Have a happy medium between rigid self control, and enjoyment of your vacation.

Examine why you're eating this way. Is it because everyone else around you is? Is it because you're in an environment that lets you revert back to old behaviour (e.g. being around parents, siblings, other situations where you didn't exercise self control)? Is it because you're eating convenient food like fast food more often?

Make small changes. This vacation might result in weight gain. But if you make changes right now, your next vacations might result in smaller gains or no gains. And honestly, stop weighing yourself.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Yea only you can control you . If you know you're gonna eat tons of food on vacation then I would suggest not to go on vacation or just know how to control your habits

OR, just enjoy the vacation, eat the food, and get right back on track when you get back. Vacations should be enjoyed. They don't happen every day.

A poster recently said (I regret I forget which one). "Plan your weight loss around your life, not your life around your weight loss."

But the thing is weight loss is 10x more important than a vacation . Vacations can wait . They don't happen happen everyday but they can happen ANY day . Why Why wait to lose weight? Something serious can happen from being overweight or obese . I'm just trying to help this person and anyone else in the same boat because your life and health is more important if you wanna live long and go on many vacations.

A 3, 5, 10 day break from a diet is not going to do significant damage to a process that could take YEARS. Constantly cutting out enjoyable activities in life to keep on dieting every day without fail.... will lead to burnout and eventual failure.

Agree with @MommaGem2017

Enjoy your vacation. It sounds like you might be overdoing it a bit, but don't stress over your diet and enjoy yourself. Get out and do more fun stuff that you can't do when not on vacation.

I had 2 weeks in July and just decided to take July off from logging etc. My vacation was great and has some good memories. Now I'm back logging and losing. And it isn't like 2 weeks (or in my case a month) is going to matter to your weight loss long term. And it may help you stick to it the other 50 weeks of the year.

Short answer, don't stress about it.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Quality and quantity