What are the main reason behind your failed diet attempts?

Options

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I failed so many times by crash dieting and over-restricting.

I've failed by failing to change the thought processes behind my poor choices.

By having big huge end goals without day-in, day-out process goals.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For me it was laziness, giving up is it seemed like too much work, didn't have the right knowledge, depression and just plain denial thinking and telling myself I was happy with how I was and always making the joke "the only diet I am on is a seefood diet, I see food and I eat it" and the other joke "I'm allergic to exercise, it leaves me sweaty and unable to breath" lol I was just not dedicated and family telling me I needed to lose weight I would just ignore them, I regret letting my weight get so bad but I think turning 30 made me realise I need to change :)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not focusing on what I need to do and what works for me (staying in my lane!) Revisiting old methods that clearly didn't work for me because they are comfortable standbys (hello, WW). Complacency. Letting other people's, especially my family member's, issues get in the way of my goals. Perfectionism, and doubting that CICO works. It's not sexy as heck, so I doubt it. I don't know why I doubt that I can eat one sensible portion, adjust my day and be alright. :/
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 3,000 calories + moving my body more than 50 feet in a day used to feel like mild torture to me. It took years but I basically had to "brainwash" myself into believing that I didn't want to lay on the couch and use potato chips to scoop an entire jar of nutella into my mouth, and that I didn't want to sit on my *kitten* all day, until it became mostly true.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Failure- Cutting out a lot of foods. Too restrictive, not sustainable long term. No knowledge of the actual calories I needed, was taking in or burning. Losing quickly but no plan to maintain. Setting unrealistic goals and getting frustrated.

Success- Eating food I would normally eat and that the people around me eat. Moderation. Realistic and easy to sustain long term. Knowing how many calories I should have. Logging my food every day.
  • arianapolitis
    arianapolitis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just graduated law school. In the beginning three years ago I told myself I would bring my meals with me to school and plan accordingly for any deviations. That was a big failure on my part. I let late night study sessions give me an excuse as to why I should go to the local deli or subway or fast food place nearest school and order a shmorgasborg of food.

First year I was okay, well within a 5 pound range of what I at the time normally weighed. Then second and third year came along, and I really just let myself go. I knew I was gaining but I still continued to let myself spiral. I also discovered that white wine was my favorite alcoholic drink, and it's loaded with sugars, so when you're drinking a huge bottle every weekend, that also doesn't help. I kept telling my boyfriend oh I'm starting X diet Monday, wish me luck! And would do it for one week, if that. My excuse again was "too much work on your plate, take the cheap way out" and order food.

Once I took the bar exam July 25-26, I promised myself that now that I have more time, I need to stick to a committed lifestyle change and NOT a diet. I'm in 2 weeks and already seeing noticeable changes. It really is YOU as a person that gets to choose whether you want to be committed or not. There are no excuses for that.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    At first it was lack of knowledge on how weight loss actually works. Later on, my mother died and it hit me hard... a few pet deaths as well.

But I am back up again. I know my father isn't going to live much longer being 81... but I'm going to be prepared this time (premade foods, shakes).
  • Asibaris
    Asibaris Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Every time I dieted it was one group or another of food which was banned. And it worked for a while because I foliowed it but then I would just forget about it and go crazy and start binge eating my way back to what I lost..
    This is the first time I'm counting calories and eating whatever I want in whatever combo and I feel soooo liberated from my culinary frustations. :-)
    Also, I never used to exercise like I do now and after a certain point (like 84-86 kg) the weight wouldn't drop. Everybody urged me to run, do crazy cardio and such things that I HATE. Now I do a combo of hiit, weights and light cardio for my rest days. And I'm finally happy with my sport schedule..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have never failed at losing weight. I have failed to maintain the loss but since even then I did not become overweight I don't look at that as a failure.

This is the first time I've been overweight and had to lose. I have regained a few lbs twice since hitting goal but both times I lost those few lbs again without it getting out of hand. The jury is still out whether I will ever regain to the point of overweight. #fingerscrossed
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast, Xenadrine, and green tea pills. So much of the fail.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LACK OF COMMITMENT. If someone was truly committed to a goal, they do WHATEVER it takes to complete it. And many times that means sacrifice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Oh how right you are !
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Using things has an excuse to stop and not getting back on track like going on vacation or car accident in past. Also while I understand that this needs to be a lifetime thing not just dieting and then going back to the past way of eating. I have problems with adhering to this and find myself falling back to old habits/ways of eating.

• SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost weight once in 2013 to 2014. It took me a year from 2012 t0 2013 to understand the process. Because it was my first time. Then it only took 6 months to lose the weight. This time around it took 2 months for my mimd and body to finally adjust to changes of eating ay deficit and exercising.
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it came down to being too lazy to buy/cook/prepare food. Life has been extremely busy for me up until recently, so it felt like a chore doing all those things. Easier to just drive up to a window and have food handed to me within minutes.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I blame potato chips. And cake. ;)