How do I stop binge eating at night/??

Options
2»

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I also allow myself to eat up to maintenance calories once in a while. This makes for slower weight loss but I am learning to change my behavior, not rushing towards a number on the scale. Behavior change doesn't happen overnight.

I do well if I save calories for a high-volume low-calorie snack after dinner such as air popped popcorn or berries. Whole foods are best! Processed foods are so easy to overdo. But you could definitely save calories for halo top. I tend to eat much more healthfully (protein and veggies) during the day if I'm anticipating this.

Yesterday I was so exhausted and despondent and I went over my calories. I stopped right at maintenance. I logged it all. I will get back in my deficit today. Here's what I forgot: there are other ways to relax and help myself feel better besides eating. Eating was the easy habitual choice. There are other choices!
  • Cynt214
    Cynt214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If nighttime snacking is something you enjoy doing then plan your nighttime snacks so you will not blow you calorie deficiency. However, if you do this out of a bad habit, boredom, or just because you are awake then my advice is to break that habit. I went through this for years. I ate for every reason other than me being hungry. This bad habit screwed up my weight loss efforts. Therefore, I cut back one evening at a time. Instead of eating foods that blew my calorie goal, I drank flavored herbal teas (caffeine free). Now, I snack a few nights a week which are planned well in advance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    3ogclqq56yf4.png
    But eating at night isn't a "bad" habit. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss/gain/maintenance. It STILL comes down to CICO.
    In Europe, many meal start after 9pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png