How do you curb your late night hunger?

I really struggle after 8:30 with not eating pure junk, or just going over my calories. So, what say you? How do you curb your late night hunger? Also, if you are a motivator and want to be a fellow MFPer, then feel free to add me.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Personally, I save a good bit of my calories for later in the evening. I like to much pretty much until bed, so I leave an allowance in my daily calories to permit that. If I meet my protein and fat goals earlier in the day, which also helps me be less hungry through the day, I can use the remaining calories to eat whatever "junk" I want. I've found it to be the best solution for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    don't eat so much right all day- save room for a snack.

no reason you can't eat before you go to bed if you don't want to. IF works on that very principle.

24 hrs in the day- eat your calories for the day- if you like having a snack before bed- make sure you save room for it.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Are you hungry or bored?

Agree with previous posters. Give yourself some wiggle room. Are you eating enough for your activity level to prevent you from being so hungry?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I eat about 45% of my calories right before bed, that's how I handle it. I also like to sleep with a full stomach.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Hate to say this - but some sacrifices must be made. For me I cut out almost all sugar (like candy, doughnuts, cake, cookies) But I also cut down on a lot of things. I also changed my eating habits, one of them was eating just before bed. I did all of these things cold turkey. It is not glamorous or inventive. But it works for me.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    I really struggle after 8:30 with not eating pure junk, or just going over my calories. So, what say you? How do you curb your late night hunger? Also, if you are a motivator and want to be a fellow MFPer, then feel free to add me.

For me, eating a later dinner and saving some calories for dessert works wonders! :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    save 100 t0 200 for snack ...or just slug down about three glasses of water...
  • PepperWorm
    Hate to say this - but some sacrifices must be made. For me I cut out almost all sugar (like candy, doughnuts, cake, cookies) But I also cut down on a lot of things. I also changed my eating habits, one of them was eating just before bed. I did all of these things cold turkey. It is not glamorous or inventive. But it works for me.

Why cut the things you enjoy? Why does it matter what time you eat?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Hot water to drink. I'm fasting today & so far I've had nothing but hot water & I'm still not hungry. Saving my 500 cals for later.
  • JoRocka
    save 100 t0 200 for snack ...or just slug down about three glasses of water...

never helps me- except to get out of bed an hour early in the AM to pee- then be mad I have another hour of unrestful sleep that will probably make me late. :D

I DO like warm milk with honey and a dash of cinnamon. puts me out like a mother trucking light.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Lots of water, herbal tea, and sleep. And sometimes a late-night cardio session. :heart:
  • PepperWorm
    Warm milk grosses me out. I don't know why. It's just full of "no."
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    1. Eat more filling foods for dinner. More fiber, fat, and lean protein.

2. Don't stay up so late. If you're asleep you can't feel hungry.
  • JoRocka
    Warm milk grosses me out. I don't know why. It's just full of "no."

NO HOT CHOCOLATE!!!!

GASP.

yeah I thought it was kind of skeevy too till I tried it. Then <swoon>

meh- if water works- drink water- I can't it just makes me pea. Like tea- tea also- straight through me. The milk though- stays put- plus extra protein = win win!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    I sautee 2 yelow squash (about 40 calories or so) in my green pan with some spices and pam spray. FILLS ME UP and under 50 calories! Im good to go till morning!! =)
  • PepperWorm
    But hot chocolate has chocolate!

Skrait milk is what puts me off, lol.

If it's nummies for you, great! It's just awkward for me.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    I save most my calories for night. I'm eating nachos and drinking beer right now. :smile:
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    I eat about 45% of my calories right before bed, that's how I handle it. I also like to sleep with a full stomach.

I do this.. its what my schedule allows! It's 10:50pm & my supper is coming out of the oven! *shrugs* its just how my family rolls!! I have my husbands schedule!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    8:30 p.m. or later--if I was hungry or craving something, I would just go to bed! Otherwise, I agree with leaving some room for an evening snack.
  • KtAnne388
    KtAnne388 Posts: 30
    I do a evening snack with some seltzer water or a big glass of ice water. If you crave sweetness crystal light would work. Also, something high in fiber might make you feel fuller. Are you eating enough in the day? Maybe your meals are too light and then hunger gradually creeps up on you.

I personally like to do greek yogurt with some fruit or a few thin slices of low fat cheese with olives and pepperoncinis. I noticed that when things take longer to eat I generally go slower and feel fuller. Air popped popcorn with sea salt may work! Either way good luck. You can do it!