Why Carbs "Make" Us Fat...

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    It does put things in perspective however I never like advice that demonizes any food, especially one that demonizes an entire macro nutrient.

I agree 100% which is why I like this article....
  • J72FIT
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    but the title of the article makes it seem that carbs solely make you fat.

The title IMO is purely to get you to click and read...

• J72FIT
    Options
    I imagine the "woo" was from someone who did not bother to read the article... lol!
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I imagine the "woo" was from someone who did not bother to read the article... lol!

Ha...probably very true.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, good article. I saw the OP so figured the title was click bait!

I'd add -- as supported by the article -- that very low carb takes more work, even apart from food with carbs (and often other macros) being awesome. It effectively cuts out things that are easy to be tempted by or grab and eat mindlessly between meals (many of which have just as much fat as carbs).
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Love it, but almost didn't read it because of the title. I think I actually rolled my eyes.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I edited and put the word make in quotes...
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    The article did not mention healthy carbs, like my favorite a plain ol' sweet potato and whole wheat pasta.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I experienced a moment of bafflement, looking back and forth between the poster and the title, but then I read the dang article and figured it out. :blush: Great article!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    The article did not mention healthy carbs, like my favorite a plain ol' sweet potato and whole wheat pasta.

Did you miss the bit about mashed potato?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I did bother to read the article. I could copy this article, do a find and replace for "carb" and "fat", and it would still be the same article but demonizing fat like we did for years instead of the new boogeyman carbs. Meh, I'd vote woo too. It still goes too far and blames our obesity on carbs. It's not so much the macro as it is foods which are tasty, convenient, and provide little satiety, and foods that meet that criteria (chips, cookies, etc.) typically include just as much if not more fat as they do carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Um, it said carbs are awesome. Those are both awesome (as are the similar when it comes to nutrients and calories potatoes and white pasta), so they were included.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I did bother to read the article. I could copy this article, do a find and replace for "carb" and "fat", and it would still be the same article but demonizing fat like we did for years instead of the new boogeyman carbs. Meh, I'd vote woo too. It still goes too far and blames our obesity on carbs. It's not so much the macro as it is foods which are tasty, convenient, and provide little satiety, and foods that meet that criteria (chips, cookies, etc.) typically include just as much if not more fat as they do carbs.

Really? I did not find that at all. Interesting...
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Isn't carbs like our most important macro?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Copied: Carbs are awesome.......carbs ARE responsible for our obesity epidemic.
    And a plain potato is much healthier than a mashed potato. I know my grandma will pile on things like sour cream, cream cheese, tons of butter, and god knows what else into a mashed potato. Turning them into a calorie dense food, that barely tastes like potato.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I experienced a moment of bafflement, looking back and forth between the poster and the title, but then I read the dang article and figured it out. :blush: Great article!

The fact that it was indeed the OP posting it was the only reason I clicked through in the first piece!

I liked the article quite a bit, as a person who also thinks carbs are awesome. I eat a very carb heavy diet (I have a pot of congee simmering away as I type this), but his point is spot on. I measure my portions and balance them with protein and fat. I get carby goodness and sound nutrition. Winning!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Hmm. You do make a point. The typical convenience-food rich diet that people eat is very high in fat.

Fair point, well made.