Keto for my mom in her 50s

Options
Abrahamsarah1
Abrahamsarah1 Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys,
So i began keto about a month ago and its working out quite well for me, i want to get my mom who is in her 50s to start as well,
She is quite overweight, diabetic and has been through a lot of stress in her life. My only wish is for her to be healthy and live a long life.
A few days ago i started her on the diet and have been preparing meals for her but im worried... Would all of the eggs and butter harm her?
Would someone be able to tell me how exactly she should start and options of what she can eat, her health is fragile and i am really scared as i am not a doctor nor a nutritionist
Please help!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Why Keto? Why not just a healthy low calorie diet? For weight loss, it does not matter what you eat, as long as you stay within calories.
    I lost weight being high carb eating sweet potatoes along with my grilled chicken. She can focus on healthy, and everything else will fall in place. I like the DASH diet (I'm over 50). Always consult with a doctor before starting a weight loss plan - there are reasons for this - ex: a doctor may not want her having a high saturated fat diet.
    DASH - http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/dash-diet Easiest (opinion). Keto is hard to follow for long term.
    Notice that DASH is rated by them #1 for Diabetes.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Eggs and butter will not harm your mother as long as she is not eating a ton of carbs on top of it. Make your mum up a plan. plan out three meals a day and a snack. Aim for lower carb. Example:
    Breakfast: eggs anyway, include some veggies or a bit of fruit
    Lunch: Some form of protein and a big leafy salad (I make mine with pine nuts, sunflower seeds, baby spinach, red onion, bell pepers, grated carrot, cherry tomatoes with balsamic and olive oil for dressing)
    Snack: handful of nuts, and some sea weed, or low carb crackers and cheese
    Dinner: another form of protein and more veggies, roast veggie salad? low carb pad thai?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fats (unless it is transfats or vegetable oils becoming rancid) will not hurt her hear health and may actually improve it. That includes saturated fats. The old saturated fats myth is slow to die... It started because of the whole "cholesterol in the food will raise cholesterol" myth. It's true for the tiny minority with familial hypercholesterolemia but for no one else.

Try Peter Attia's blog for info, or Cholesterol Clarity, Cholesterol Con or the Cholesterol Myths.

As for her diabetes, eating low carb can only make balancing blood glucose without medications easier. If she does take insulin, be aware that she may need to reduce its use fairly soon.

I've been keto for a few years. I started mainly to control BG but I feel so much better eating this way that I won't be stopping anytime soon.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take a different tack here...

Your mother's health and diet is her responsibility. If she specifically asks for your help, point her to a dietician or her doctor. I know you love your mom, but it's her job to deal with her health. You'll make yourself crazy trying to do it for her, and it's likely she won't listen anyway.

Let it go. Just love her and support any good choices she chooses to make.
  • franniwi
    franniwi Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I read that keto can cause diabetic ketoacidosis, so do some research before recommending it to a diabetic. Just make sure her doctor knows and can advise her, or run blood tests to make sure she can handle it.
  • nvmomketo
    edited August 2017
    Options
    franniwi wrote: »
    I read that keto can cause diabetic ketoacidosis, so do some research before recommending it to a diabetic. Just make sure her doctor knows and can advise her, or run blood tests to make sure she can handle it.

Mentioning your concern is thoughtful. :)

However a ketogenic diet cannot lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. A ketogenic diet is when ketones are used for fuel because very few carbs are eaten - blood glucose is normal. Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a type 1 diabetic does not use (enough) insulin; they will have very high blood glucose levels AND very high ketones (many many times higher than even a starvation diet could produce).

It's a pretty common misconception. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I'm going to take a different tack here...

Your mother's health and diet is her responsibility. If she specifically asks for your help, point her to a dietician or her doctor. I know you love your mom, but it's her job to deal with her health. You'll make yourself crazy trying to do it for her, and it's likely she won't listen anyway.

Let it go. Just love her and support any good choices she chooses to make.

While I wouldn't let it go if your mother wants to try a LCHF diet to get her health problems under control, this is a good point. She will eventually have to take responsibility for her diet unless you usually do all her meal prep. Perhaps try steering her towards Atkins (induction/phase 1) or Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Keto Clarity is another easy to read book.

Dr R Bernstein also has some good youtube videos on LCHF and T2D.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg

This is a good intro talk too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ