Calorie tracking

Options
I have been faithfully tracking my calorie intake daily 1200. I just started to track my cardio @ 300- Now my question is, will I still lose weight at 1500 cal, now that it is getting added into my intake? Or do I not log my exercise and keep eating my 1200? I am still learning and am trying to make a life change for myself. Thank you

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat the exercise calories - that's the way MFP works. Especially since you've picked the absolute minimum calories to start with - you need the extra nurtition from those extra calories.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately counting your 1500 intake and 300 exercise, you'll will lose weight at the same rate as eating 1200 and not exercising. But don't expect perfection or day-to-day results! The only way to be sure you're on track is to keep up the same habits over the course of weeks and months and logging as accurately as you can.
  • Wakey618
    Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm going to try & post a link here to another discussion in this group about eating calories burned, which has around 85 posts so that may be of interest to you.

Here is the link
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If your target assumed no exercise, then it is added to the total. You're basically burning more than you said you would so you get to eat more to cover. On the other hand, if you told MFP that you did some exercise on a daily basis when setting your targets, then it's possible that those calories are already included in your target and you should not eat more.

Just make sure that you are conservative with your estimates for calories burned by exercise. Most people start by only eating back 50% of their exercise calories because of the general tendency to overestimate.