Overwhelmed by "issues"

Options
I'm feeling overwhelmed by my "issues", which I'm constantly working on every day... I'm taking about tight hip flexors and quads, rib flare, leaning forward too much during squats, core weakness, etc etc etc. I feel like I do so much- foam rolling, stretching, Pilates, chiropractor, etc etc etc.

I just started Strong Curves which is more intense than my usual routines and with higher weights. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm concerned I'm going to get injured bc of these deficiencies that I can't seem to ever fix.

Does anyone have any advice or perspectives? I guess all I can do is my best, and my body might just be stubborn. I guess I'm my body's defense, I have two kids and I think the pregnancies made those issues all worse.

So do I just keep trucking with my routine and just try to keep up with stretching, rolling, etc? Or do I go back to square one and try to hardcore fix these issues (that I can't seem to 'fix')????

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm there, too. I foam roll, stretch, chiro, massage, yoga, etc, ad nauseum. But I love my sport and I'm willing to do it to keep participating.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are these issues that were known to you before starting to work out or have you just discovered them along the way? By that I mean are they things that have long been causing you problems or are you just running into them now? I think that a lot of "issues" are just normal "haven't been doing this long and the body needs to get used to it or form needs to improve" things. What do you mean by leaning forward too much during squats? What do you mean by core weakness? So on and so forth.
  • mckeesandra
    mckeesandra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Start with something to build your core, yoga I love bikram then work into weight lifting. If your form is not proper back off on the weight or no weight and work up! Form is more important then the amount of weight
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yep I do vinyasa yoga and would definitely consider that an excellent precursor to any more substantive exercise routine (in fact, that's why I picked it up). It may not make you impervious to injury, strain, or exhaustion, but it can do a lot of basic strengthening and improved flexibility, and give you better awareness of your balance, posture, etc.
    Good luck!
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have the same issue for squats. I have switched over to front squats. Its more natural for me and my form is waaaaay better. A little yoga worked well for me too.

I also second the vinyasa yoga and hot if you can find it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    have you thought about hiring a trainer, a good one, not just the local gym pt? a good trainer can easily fix those issues .
  • WiccaMagic
    WiccaMagic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about seeing a physiotherapist? You might need specific exercises to help loosen you up. It's amazing how all of our smaller muscles can affect the bigger ones. I'm having the same issue and am now seeing one and it has made a world of difference! I've still got a long way to go but knowing which exercises are affecting me and my muscles and getting a new way of stretching them or doing the exercise has made it a lot more bearable!
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing various PTs on and off for 5 years, since having a serious childbirth injury. I do reformer Pilates for the core work, so I'm definitely on top of that. My youngest daughter is 18 months, so my body still is recovering from the pregnancy and diastasis.

I wish I could find a good trainer, but everyone I've tried in the area is just so so. I just recently saw a reputable trainer for 4 sessions, she does in home stuff. Honestly, she didn't really nitpick the stuff that I feel like is a problem. She obviously said I need to just keep up the core work to get back to prepregnancy strength. I had a consult with another reputable trainer in the area who didn't know what a diastasis recti is, so I obviously didnt go back.

I love yoga, but there's no good studio near me right now. There is a kettlebell- yoga fusion class that I love, but I can never get a sitter for my kids for the times offered... life!

I'm just going to soldier on I guess, and try not to get discouraged.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid of getting injured, then the weight is probably too heavy. Focus on form and make sure it is correct before adding weight. Leaning forward on squats can be very scary if the weight is heavy, you can easily go just a little too far and pull something or lose your balance with the weight. Compound lifts will also help your core strength. Just keep working and increasing when you can.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just about everyone has "issues" so don't let that stop you or overwhelm you. You have to do what works for you and your body. This may not be the same as what a lot of people post about on here and it won't be the same as other people in the gym. Progress is faster for some that for others, but you will progress. As long as you are working on you, you're doing great. That's all that can be asked of anyone.
  • Raegold
    Options
    If you are afraid of getting injured, then the weight is probably too heavy. Focus on form and make sure it is correct before adding weight. Leaning forward on squats can be very scary if the weight is heavy, you can easily go just a little too far and pull something or lose your balance with the weight. Compound lifts will also help your core strength. Just keep working and increasing when you can.

The whole forward lean squat things confuse me... it doesn't feel bad while I'm doing it. I'm not going very heavy, the most I've ever back squatted is the 45 lb bar, and 25 lb goblet squat. I just know from watching like Brent Brookbush that my tibia and torso should be parallel and they probably aren't.

• Raegold
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just about everyone has "issues" so don't let that stop you or overwhelm you. You have to do what works for you and your body. This may not be the same as what a lot of people post about on here and it won't be the same as other people in the gym. Progress is faster for some that for others, but you will progress. As long as you are working on you, you're doing great. That's all that can be asked of anyone.

Thank you! I definitely push myself and am definitely a perfectionist... I think I have to work with what I have, and just do my best within the time that I have to work on it.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Well, what are your goals? What exercise can you do? Swimming, rowing machine, etc? You can't just rehab, you have to work out too.
  • msmacok
    msmacok Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do "In Home" walking with Leslie Sansone. I have been walking with her for 3 years and am now using her 5 Mega Mile workout...combines strength training with aerobics. I absolutely love it. I've lost 40 pounds and feel and look so much better.
  • Raegold
    Options
    Please excuse my stay at home mom outfit and weird lighting... this is just a random screenshot from a video I did of myself doing a bodyweight squat. I think that when I'm using weight, whether back or goblet style, I'm a bit more upright than this. But like, is this a huge issue? Or will this improve over time and making an effort? These are the things that are confusing me
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been powerlifting for over 5 years and it's constant trial-and-error and form/technique correction and injury prevention/rehab and research and you name it. Stretching and warm-up and prehab/rehab is all part of that. Anyone who is even remotely serious about lifting deals with these things sooner or later (and generally chronically, especially if you're not young anymore). It's all part of the game.
  • Raegold
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I've been powerlifting for over 5 years and it's constant trial-and-error and form/technique correction and injury prevention/rehab and research and you name it. Stretching and warm-up and prehab/rehab is all part of that. Anyone who is even remotely serious about lifting deals with these things sooner or later (and generally chronically, especially if you're not young anymore). It's all part of the game.

Thank you for that perspective, that definitely makes sense.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »
    But like, is this a huge issue?

Not necessarily. You're probably leaning forward like that because you feel like you'll tip backwards otherwise. That's normal when starting out and will improve with practice, and should disappear with goblet squats, if the weight is heavy enough. That's why goblets are a great starter exercise - they're self-correcting.

Use video to check your form from multiple angles. If you're unsure, you can upload them to MFP for the trainers to review. :+1: