Shin splints

Options
I hit it too hard, too quick starting back up & have got awful shin splints. What're the most effective cardio workouts while these babies heal up?

Replies

• jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Same workouts. You get sleeves on Amazon etc that help when you wear them as you exercise.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Generally anything low impact. Elliptical, swimming, cycling, and the like.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rhiana1188 wrote: »
    I hit it too hard, too quick starting back up & have got awful shin splints. What're the most effective cardio workouts while these babies heal up?

Depends on what you did to cause it?

Assuming it was running, cycling is very complimentary and can help address the potential of muscular imbalance leading to the problem. Swimming can be very effective, and again develops the lower leg balance.

You've connected one of the potential causes; too much too soon, but it can be worth considering your running gait, and have a look at the age/ wear/ fit of your shoes as well.

Ignore the advice upthread about calf sleeves, you've got damage that needs to heal.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You may be overstriding.
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I got shin splits bad with incorrect running style ( overstriding as above ) which causes heel strike which sends the impact up your leg. I removed a lot of this pain by firstly buying the correct running shows, then secondly learning to run properly so I hit with my forefoot and not my heel. Since then ( about 8 months ago ) I haven't had any shin splints at all, and I don't need to think about running on my forefoot.
    First thing to think about I think is taking small steps when running and maybe correct shoes for you.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Google Sock Doc. His techniques (trigger point massage) have worked for me. I had terrible plantar fasciitis and shin splints that kept coming back. I've kept them away for 2+ years with regular self-massages in my calves and legs. I try to rub out these areas daily, but if I get lax and feel them returning again, I return to a few good massages daily and they go away. I haven't iced or stretched these muscles in years (except mild/short yoga sessions after my workouts). No shoe inserts. Just pressure and massaging these areas he shows in his videos.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    senor_jeff wrote: »
    I got shin splits bad with incorrect running style ( overstriding as above ) which causes heel strike which sends the impact up your leg

Fwiw the problem there isn't the heel strike, is the effect of the leading leg being used as a lever to lift the body mass. That places significant torque on the lower leg, contributing to the tearing and microfractures.

A supinator, whose foot doesn't roll, will exhibit back pain as a result of impact forces.
    First thing to think about I think is taking small steps when running and maybe correct shoes for you.

I'd agree with this, aim to land the leading leg as close to under the centre of mass as possible.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    senor_jeff wrote: »
    I got shin splits bad with incorrect running style ( overstriding as above ) which causes heel strike which sends the impact up your leg. I removed a lot of this pain by firstly buying the correct running shows, then secondly learning to run properly so I hit with my forefoot and not my heel. Since then ( about 8 months ago ) I haven't had any shin splints at all, and I don't need to think about running on my forefoot.

As a side note - it's actually still OK to heel strike if you're not overstriding. The key is the landing point of the foot relative to the center of mass, not the part of the foot that actually contacts the ground first.

Forefoot running isn't the answer in and of itself and can actually lead to injury for some people because it shifts the load onto the calves instead of the knees.
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your info. I've been a CC runner for over 17 years. I'm pretty sure my stride is alright, but I'll definitely pay more attention when I get back to it. I'm thinking it's mostly a combination of old shoes & starting back up way too quickly (it's been nearly a year). It's killing me not being able to just go out and run! I also do some weight training but I loathe all other cardio- except for running. I feel like it's the only thing I can enjoy.