Florida Friends

Options
13»

Replies

• pdblizzard
    pdblizzard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just moved to Sarasota from HOT and HUMID Illinois and we LOVE It. There are so many beautiful places up and down the Gulf coast, from Manasota Key in the south, up to Anna Maria Island in the north. We could spend weeks just checking out all the beautiful white sand and turquoise water beaches.

Inland Sarasota county has some beautiful parks that look like fairy tale forests. There is a thriving arts community in Sarasota and we also love Venice Island, that has a small town feel.

And everyone I have met in the few months we've been here, are HAPPY. Not grumbling, complaining, sour puss faced people. Genuine happy, joyful people. We love it, it's paradise :)
  • lbriscoe82
    lbriscoe82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jacksonville and Miami have a good murder rate. At least if you're into getting murdered.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's true.

I live in Jacksonville, but the Space Coast is pretty awesome. That includes Cocoa Beach (awesome), Cape Canaveral and Melbourne. They're pretty close to Orlando, which is the main tourist location. Orlando is fun to visit, but I would never live there.

Ocala in central Florida is also a very beautiful small town.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And if you're young, the older people will treat you like you don't belong in "their" state.

This is absolutely true. I am 5th generation Floridian and I just wish everyone ELSE would quit moving to MY damn state so I can move back home. That being said, it's mostly been ruined and the new place I live is completely different but gives me the same feeling of "natural beauty" Florida USED to have....before everyone else moved there.

And for the record....I'm 43. Most of the state has been essentially ruined in that short period of time.......

Oh, and since it's now officially football season...GO GATORS!!!!!

Northerm Florida isn't so bad, in that sense. There's nothing to DO here, but we still have trees and springs and lots of natural beauty. I love The Forgotten Coast, but if you need a job and a place to live at the same time and don't want to commute an hour a day ...

Tallahassee is very pretty. Just lacking in everything else!

You couldn't pay me to live in south Florida, though. Even Jacksonville is too overdone. No trees, all pavement. At least the beach is close, though.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I live in Miami Im dying to move back to Central California!!
    If you come to Miami hold on to your purse dont leave cars unlocked especially when putting gas! and watch your back at all times!
    Tourist seem to be all over calle 8 and it boggles my mind all the time!
  • Hamgela1
    Hamgela1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in Palm Coast (Flagler County) and I love it here. :) It's not too big but not too small. It's a pretty place to live and it's kept up nicely. If you're looking for work though, you'll most likely have to commute... :)
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My hunny lives in West Palm Beach ... but his heart is in Delray Beach.

I suggest Delray! Great night life, artsy, beach, and a cute little beach bum town during the day <3

Enjoy your vacation!!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    We have a very different kind of heat than California.

This. I went to visit Cali and dry heat is much easier to deal with than the wet heat we have over here in my opinion. Our humidity is pretty much always in the 90%+ range and it can make hot days torture, especially if you sweat easily. Be prepared before you move here! My friend in California came to visit and she says I must be a tropical fish because I've lived here all my life. :laugh:

I live in Orlando, and it's a nice place to visit for vacation, but be prepared for how hokey and touristy it is. We have Disney characters plastered pretty much everywhere, the traffic is extreme, and we're not super close to any beaches. Daytona, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee are pretty, but Daytona is tiny and Jax and Tallahassee are super sparse and spread out (I used to live in Jax and we had to take the flippin' highway everywhere). People are right that Florida is mostly scrub and wilderness if you aren't in any big cities. I've never been down in Miami, but I hear it's a decent place for fun. I personally enjoy living here, but I can sympathize with my fellow natives who hate it.
  • FitRituals
    Options
    Florida sucks haha
    I moved to Pembroke Pines when i was 16, barely anyone speaks English (i thought i moved to an English speaking country and i was so wrong). I went back home at 17 then my parents sent me back when i was 18. Florida is where criminals come and settle, most people are rude i wouldn't recommend any decent person moved here.