Options
13»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    k3ls4ur wrote: »
    Following this thread... if HIIT workouts aren't worth it, but I don't have a local gym and I'm short on time, what kind of workout would be ideal to burn fat and gain a little muscle? Mostly just to tone my body...

If you're really crunched on time and you can only really work out for a couple minutes at a time, HIIT or any type of interval training is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Oh really?

Yes, what would be your recommendation?

Why would you suggest that it's best bang for your buck?

Because with interval training you get more work done in a shorter amount of time.

Care to amplify that?

I'd generally disagree, but I'd rather understand the basis for your assertion.

Shorter rest periods and longer work periods.

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

50 seconds on, 10 seconds between exercises- 1 min between rounds.

Semantics, mis-naming and poster's history aside...can anyone really argue that given only 15 minutes and no other options, that this is a very legitimate workout for someone with no real goals and just wants to get some exercise in?

Posters history aside? I'm not sure what kind of point your trying to make but the whole point of this conversation is to help OP..... she has goals

His points are rather obvious and we'll taken on all counts including helping the OP. If the shoe fits......
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    HIIT is great for burning fat and improving cardiovascular health, so if you're just looking to cut fat so you look firmer, than that might work, however, you'll need to be eating enough (especially protein) so your body doesn't burn muscle instead of fat. However, if you're looking to build a bit of muscle, you'll need to do some kind of strength training, but you don't need to go a gym and do that. Since I have no idea what you would enjoy, google things you can do to build muscle at home and do it bit by bit throughout your day. I used to think that you had to do your workouts all at once, but I realise you can break them up and that's fine. So if you got 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there, do some strength training - it'll all add up.

You don't burn body fat exercising, you need a calorie deficit for that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    HIIT is great for burning fat and improving cardiovascular health, so if you're just looking to cut fat so you look firmer, than that might work, however, you'll need to be eating enough (especially protein) so your body doesn't burn muscle instead of fat. However, if you're looking to build a bit of muscle, you'll need to do some kind of strength training, but you don't need to go a gym and do that. Since I have no idea what you would enjoy, google things you can do to build muscle at home and do it bit by bit throughout your day. I used to think that you had to do your workouts all at once, but I realise you can break them up and that's fine. So if you got 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there, do some strength training - it'll all add up.

Exercise is part of the "o" in CICO. Your total energy expenditure, including exercise, is one half of what determines whether or not you are in a calorie deficit.
  • VintageFeline
    edited August 2017
    Options

Exercise is part of the "o" in CICO. Your total energy expenditure, including exercise, is one half of what determines whether or not you are in a calorie deficit.

Yes, it increases calories out but it is not in and of itself "fat burning". If you're not in a deficit (and exercise certainly isn't 50% of my deficit) then you're not losing body fat.

ETA: There are plenty of people who do no exercise on this site and elsewhere who lose weight without exercise. I don't think it's ideal but it still happens.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Following this thread... if HIIT workouts aren't worth it, but I don't have a local gym and I'm short on time, what kind of workout would be ideal to burn fat and gain a little muscle? Mostly just to tone my body...

If you're really crunched on time and you can only really work out for a couple minutes at a time, HIIT or any type of interval training is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Oh really?

Because with interval training you get more work done in a shorter amount of time.

Care to amplify that?

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

Semantics, mis-naming and poster's history aside...can anyone really argue that given only 15 minutes and no other options, that this is a very legitimate workout for someone with no real goals and just wants to get some exercise in?

Yes, but I would say that given the parameters you describe, it is a waste of time to include sit-ups. Pull-ups would be a better substitute.
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options

A fair added point. Yes, if you're consuming too many calories it won't help you burn fat but if you're watching your calorie intake and doing hiit, then it's a easy way to burn more fat. She can absolutely burn fat just watching her calories but she specifically asked about hiit for fitness, so I addressed that.
  • VintageFeline
    edited August 2017
    Options

A fair added point. Yes, if you're consuming too many calories it won't help you burn fat but if you're watching your calorie intake and doing hiit, then it's a easy way to burn more fat. She can absolutely burn fat just watching her calories but she specifically asked about hiit for fitness, so I addressed that.

Exercise does not help you burn more body fat. It can increase/help your calorie deficit but physiologically it is not increasing body fat loss.

Strength training (which is not HIIT) and adequate protein can preserve muscle leading to a larger proportion of losses coming from body fat. Mostly the fat you burn while exercising is dietary fat, which is replaced when you eat more fat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Oh really?

Care to amplify that?

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

Yes, but I would say that given the parameters you describe, it is a waste of time to include sit-ups. Pull-ups would be a better substitute.

Given the parameters,

I'd dump the pushups and squat jumps(due to overlap with the other callisthenic exercises already included, I'd likely replace the situps with floor to floors(like a situp but with arms straight overhead and feet spread a bit more) and do 4 rounds. Pullups may be a better substitute, but 50 seconds of pullups is probably 0 for the person asking the question. Could always replace the 1 min rest with flexed or straight arm hangs.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a CNA so I know what you mean. Long hours on your feet. I like the HIIT workouts because I'm generally exhausted after work.