Constantly hungry/weak/tired on 1800 but not losing? Ridiculous?

Options
13»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    esless004 wrote: »
    MichSmish wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Stats would be helpful, as would the amount of calories you're burning per day. What is your net calorie intake after considering exercise?

In truth, 2000 calories is a ton of food and it would be the rare case that somebody would feel low energy at that level unless they were doing so much high-burn exercise that they significantly reduced their net calorie intake.

I'd pretty much kill someone from hanger on 2000cal a day (or attempt to eat my arm off) - and I'm female, 5'3" and maintain on 2500ish

Yes well, maintaining @2500 cals/day for a 5'3" female is fairly unusual.

I maintain on 3000 and I'm 5'5.5, not THAT much taller. fairly unusual among the normal population, but not those who work out regularly/hard.

I think its less rare than people believe - we are so indoctrinated to believe eating less helps - but then the added risk of raising cortisol levels, adaptive thermogenesis (etc). I work with RD's to tailor my nutrition - I came from eating 1400cal a day - they initially adjusted me to 1800 and then over the year last have increased to 2500 through regular review and tweaks (never huge jumps - 5-10g of carbs at a time) - so its been a steady increase. But they have several folks who are less activity with health issues who also maintain on higher calorie amounts than you would believe (in the 2700-3000 range)
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    esless004 wrote: »
    Stats would be helpful, as would the amount of calories you're burning per day. What is your net calorie intake after considering exercise?

In truth, 2000 calories is a ton of food and it would be the rare case that somebody would feel low energy at that level unless they were doing so much high-burn exercise that they significantly reduced their net calorie intake.

I'd pretty much kill someone from hanger on 2000cal a day (or attempt to eat my arm off) - and I'm female, 5'3" and maintain on 2500ish

I maintain on 3000 and I'm 5'5.5, not THAT much taller. fairly unusual among the normal population, but not those who work out regularly/hard.

Eh, even then (working out regularly/hard) that maintenance calorie level is pretty impressive for a woman of that size. For example, Jessie Hilgenberg is a professional bodybuilder. She's in her mid 30s, 5'5-6", & she maintains at 2200-2500 calories a day.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jessie-hilgenbergs-fitness-journey-body-by-jessie.html

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Depends on that female's activity level.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are not that filling or satisfying. Eat the whole egg. Evidence now says that it doesn't increase your cholesterol levels.

Eating more fat and protein is likely to make you feel more satisfied. When I was doing Atkins, several years ago, I was never hungry and I lost a lot of weight. I just couldn't sustain the low carb way of eating after I lost the weight. When I lost weight last year, I did it via MFP but included more protein and fewer carbs, especially sweets. Again, I was rarely hungry.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Assuming no exercise, a 5'5" 22ish sedentary female weighing around 150 would have a TDEE of no more than 1700ish to maintain. The numbers the OP is posting make no sense to me unless there's a ton of exercise I missed that is being factored in. Sorry if I missed it but how many days/week is the OP exercising, at what intensity? Activity level aside from exercise? Eating clean makes no difference, the term means many things to many different people. All that matters is a caloric deficit. If you're not losing weight then you probably aren't in one, or have something else going on.