Pregnancy & Dieting

Options
I'm 31 years old and 27 weeks pregnant with my first child. My son Jaxon Stone is due Nov. 8. My OB informed me this past week at my monthly check-up that I need to go on a low-carb diet and cut sugary drinks out. I'm in the obese category and I've already gained the max weight I should for the entire pregnancy. The goal was 20lbs, but I've gained 22lbs and I've just started the third trimester. My OB said he'd be happy if I only gain no more than half a pound each week for the rest of my pregnancy.

Today, I just got a call from the OB's office that my glucose test came back abnormally high and to come back tomorrow to do a two-hour glucose test. They're concerned I may have gestational diabetes. Tomorrow's test will give us an indefinite answer.

So I'm looking for other pregnant gals like myself on MFP to add as friends..rather you're just maintaining a healthy diet, diabetic, doing a low-carb thing, etc. Also women who aren't presently pregnant but are on a low-carb diet and/or diabetic ladies, too. And if there's other ladies reading this who need support like I do for whatever reason you're on MFP. Please send me friend requests so we can support each other.

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My girl is three and an half now, but I had gestational diabetes. It seemed like a bad joke that the most restrictive I'd ever been with my eating was while I was pregnant, lol.

I will say that since I'd already been logging my food, mfp was a great help to keep track of my carbs. I went to a GD specific nutrition class that my dr told me to go to (that I later found out wasn't covered by my insurance and cost more than $200). At the class, the lady told me to aim for 180 g of carbs per day, spread out over 6 meals, or 30 g of carbs per meal. She had little models of potatoes, cereal, pasta, etc that were supposed to be approximately the same volume as would contain 30 g of carbs. All of that seemed unnecessary when I could just weight out my food and know exactly how much would be 30 g of carbs.
  • myshelle1985
    myshelle1985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they told me if I do have GD they'd refer me to a nutritional class like that.

I've done pretty strict eating & exercise in the past by clean eating for over six months a few years ago and lost 70lbs, so I know I can handle this type of diet for the next three months. If I do have GD, however, it'll be a whole new ball game for me to learn a new way of dieting. Anything for my son, though.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm pregnant too, and I've been logging the whole time. I already lost a lot of the weight I had to lose before I got pregnant, so it's just been trying to keep the gain to a minimum. I've been -almost- successful. 33 weeks and 24 lbs gained so far. I know it would be a lot more if I wasn't paying attention.

Idk what happened to the rest of my comment...just want to say good luck! I would add you but my diet would probably not be helpful to you right now. I feed my cravings a lot.