Swerve: Confectioners vs Granulated?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
So I started using Swerve recently and I love it! However, I'm a bit confused as to how the confectioners and granulated Swerve are different. I have both and it's very obvious one replaces powdered sugar while the other replaces regular sugar, but aren't they both basically just erythritol? How does the company make them any different? The ingredients on both bags are the exact same... am I missing something? Is the ratio of oligosaccharides different between the two or something? I just find it strange how profound their differences are for having the same two ingredients!
Thanks!

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I haven't heard of Swerve, but the difference between granulated and confectioner's sugar is just the grain size. Confectioner's sugar has been ground into a powder.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Powdered sugar is processed to be much finer and sometimes has a starch added.

I make homemade marshmallows and make my own powdered sugar to dust the mallows with since I make mint corn/egg/ allergen free.
  • hgycta
    Options
    Thanks! I don't see starch in the ingredients so I guess Swerve doesn't do that, but theoretically could I use a pestle and mortar and ground it myself into a powder? Would it be the same?
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Yes. It might take a while if you need a lot. :)
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you can use a blender or food processor
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    Thanks! I don't see starch in the ingredients so I guess Swerve doesn't do that, but theoretically could I use a pestle and mortar and ground it myself into a powder? Would it be the same?

Food processor or blender will work even better.
  • forlaura
    forlaura Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Seems like you have your answers, and I agree, the confectioner version is just "processed" differently to get it smooth. I like Swerve, but I like Lakanto even better, have you ever tried it?
  • andressblackwell
    andressblackwell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For Swerve, the Granular and Confectioners are identical ingredients. The erythritol for the Confectioners is simply fine milled into a powder. The oligosaccharides are starches that help with baking/cooking functionality. Unlike regular powdered sugar that typically adds corn starch - there is NO corn starch in Swerve.

Also, Swerve's ingredients are Non-GMO and only sourced from Europe and North America. Be cautious of other companies that source ingredients from China.
  • __TMac__
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For Swerve, the Granular and Confectioners are identical ingredients. The erythritol for the Confectioners is simply fine milled into a powder. The oligosaccharides are starches that help with baking/cooking functionality. Unlike regular powdered sugar that typically adds corn starch - there is NO corn starch in Swerve.

Also, Swerve's ingredients are Non-GMO and only sourced from Europe and North America. Be cautious of other companies that source ingredients from China.

Thought this reply sounded a little canned. It's best to disclose affiliations.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andress-blackwell-68b2b27/
  • andressblackwell
    andressblackwell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry... I certainly am happy to disclose who I am. I have been with Swerve for 14 years.

Thanks for teaching me proper etiquette in groups such as this. I will certainly sign off on any additional posts.

- Andress Blackwell, Swerve Sweetener
  • hgycta
    Options
    Sorry... I certainly am happy to disclose who I am. I have been with Swerve for 14 years.

Thanks for teaching me proper etiquette in groups such as this. I will certainly sign off on any additional posts.

- Andress Blackwell, Swerve Sweetener

I actually find it very impressive that the president/CEO of Swerve follows these forums, it makes sense from a business standpoint to stay involved in these discussions about your own product and answer customer questions! Thanks Andress, I really appreciate it and I'm in LOVE with your products!