In need of new ideas

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
OK, the backstory is I used to be very into things like aerobics, dance classes, zumba etc, with some weights mixed in. Then became a runner. Then an old accident caught up with me, and my ankle refuses to cooperate with too much jumping and hopping around.
So I gradually adjusted my routine to swimming, plus a combination of weights and pilates.
I am feeling bored and in need of new ideas. I will not / cannot give up the swimming (it helps with my ankle) but I have been away from the gym for a few weeks and honestly, I do not miss it currently. I miss however some land sport/exercise. I will eventually return to the gym and traditional weight training (have been doing it on and off for more than 20 years), but I really would like to do something different this year.
Any ideas?
I live in a very big city, in the suburbs, lots of activities are accessible by car, so as long as no crazy expenses are involved (like buying a horse :) ) I am open to new things to try. Ι was thinking about giving indoors climbing a try this winter, but I am not completely thrilled about it.

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a "land sport", but I would suggest to try kayaking/canoeing
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Not exactly a "land sport", but I would suggest to try kayaking/canoeing

I actually like that, but unfortunately not very easy time-wise. Good reminder though, it has been ages since I last went kayaking and I could dedicate some weekends to this.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Flow arts? Poi, staff, rope dart, hula hoop, etc
  • Joeytracker17
    Joeytracker17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try DDP Yoga, it's excellent for keeping up your heart rate with minimal abuse to your body.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cycling? Low impact. Use regular pedals, not clip in.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I second cycling, especially if you live in the burbs with lots of riding room.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Cycling, which is wonderful; and also how about pickleball? It's a sport that crosses all ages, relatively easier on the joints than tennis and racquetball, you can play it most of the rest of your life (I consistently get womped by people in their late 70's and 80's!), it's strategic, and super fun. Many tennis courts are being converted to pickleball courts due to its popularity. Take a look at some pickleball games on YouTube.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I will check all these ideas, thanks!
    At a glance, no DDP yoga near where I live, although I will recheck after the summer. I am not at all fond of working at home with videos, so that is not an option. But I will definitely check the yoga studios in the area.
    Cycling actually might be doable. I haven't owned a bicycle for ages, so maybe it is time to think about it again.
    Flow arts, I have never seen anything like this where I am, if there are lessons, they are downtown, and it is not worth the time/
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance there's a flow arts community where you live, it's a matter of finding them. My spouse got into it by way of a friend tossing a fire staff at him going "Hey, M! Catch!" he ended up loving it and has done rope dart and Poi as well as dabbling in fire swords. (Obviously, you don't start WITH fire, lol. Safety is 3rd after all, the first 2 also being safety.)

There's loads of YouTube videos and FB groups that can get you started if you like with the only price being your tool. :) And if you really like it there's fire festivals around the country to go to.