I want to become a nurse but in possible to work full time?

Options
weightloss_acc
weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
Hello, I am 21 years old and I curently enrolled in College part time. I am paying out of pocket because I don't qualify for Fafsa and I do not want to take out a loan for school. Anyways after my pre classes I am going to apply for nursing school to become a lpn. The only down fall is I was told that working full time and going to nursing school is most likely going to lead to failure. I live on my own. I pay 500 dollars for rent 150 for bills and 170 for food a month and now I'm paying for school which is 170 month. And I have no debt . I make 11.00 a hour and work as a cna on night shift. Do you believe I should go part time?

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It sounds hard. I understand you do not want to go into debt. But here is all I can tell you, anecdotally.
    My mum worked as something comparable to a CNA doing night shifts while studying. She kept falling asleep in the lectures and dropped out of her first try of studying. She changed the subject and the type of work and did much better second try. Just saying. Nursing night shifts take a toll on you that can be higher than other jobs which pay similar amounts.
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's better to start out part-time and take more the next semester if you feel you can handle it, than to fail or drop out. That stays on your records forever. If you are not sure, start out slow and add more if you can do it. .
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If you are committed to being a nurse, I would get it done as soon as possible, taking a student loan. The sooner you start your life long career, the better it will be in the long run, and making more money as a nurse will help you pay down the loans.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    A nursing degree is full on if you want to learn everything you should.

I did my nursing degree while breast feeding a one year old and looking after a hectic three year old. I graduated dux.

If you want to fit this into your life you will.

You can always drop your hours or a subject if you need to down the track.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you support yourself and 'need' to work full time, maintaining satisfactory academic progress in nursing school is going to very hard to do.

Have you exhausted all efforts to qualify for government aid? I would entertain the idea of getting as low interest rate Student Loan.. having more money will allow you to pay down the student loan(s) within a reasonable amount of time to get out debt...

If this is your true passion you will find a way to balance this out regardless of the financial implications, the money can always be paid back over time.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Check if there are any loan forgiveness opportunities, and talk to Human Resources where you work to see if they can pay for some of your tuition. Some organizations have that option, but they don't offer it unless you ask.
  • curvylicious369
    curvylicious369 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Will school be full or part time? I went to nursing school full time and worked part time and it was exhausting. Don't forget there is tons of homework after your classes too. I really recommend cutting Down work to part time and take a school loan. You seem concerned by debt so just pay it off aggressively once you graduate. Why don't you qualify for fafsa? Can you work 2-3 days a week at work with a 12 hour shift so most other days you can concentrate on school? I see you're a cna. You should ask your job if they offer scholarships for cna to nurse degree. Even if it's $1000 that will help. Lots of healthcare facilities offer some scholarship