Slow loss, but super happy

Options
The only other times I've been successful with weight loss has been with Weight Watchers. I've been doing MFP for about 6 weeks now (I've lost 6.6) and although I've only lost about half of what I would have by now with WW, for some reason I'm more proud this time around. And that really surprises me. I'm actually working out for the first time in my life consistently, and I feel more "in charge"of what I can and can not eat (we were on vacation this week and eat out a ton) and I'm still seeing progress, so that's amazing to me.
I appreciate all the knowledge and support
given here, too! It really helps newcomers like myself!

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Great news.

My Mom is a lifetime Weight Watcher (which means she met her goal weight at one point and if she every needed it again, she can go back for free). She started in her late 20's early 30's. I think I was maybe 6 or 7. I remember going to meetings with her. Anywho. Every time after that point when she's needed help losing weight she's always relied on the books and meetings. There have been many times I remember her relying on those books on and off. In 2011 I found MFP (at 32 years old). I had great success with it (for the first time I realized why I gained so much weight). I had gone from about 193 to 142 just eating within my calorie limits and moving more. It took a very long time, but it came off. And I wasn't miserable. This was at a point where my Mom was ready again to lose some weight she had gained from surgeries and chemo (almost 10 years remission!). I suggested MFP. She was hesitant...but she tried it and was amazed she could do it herself. Now she choses MFP over Weight Watchers (even though, like you, she lost more early on) because it's something you are a in charge of. You make the decisions. And the only person you have to be accountable to is you! She always said that Weight Watchers worked...but I always asked if it really worked, why did you keep going back to it? It obviously didn't teach her to keep it off.

Keep going! If you are consistant over the long haul this works wonders. And it teaches you a valuable lifetime lesson.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a really healthy rate. At that rate you would be more than 50lbs lighter in a year. Besides, going at a slower (normal) pace in weight loss, gives your skin a chance to adjust as well. That way you don't end up with a bunch of loose skin (think post bariatric surgery patients that drop 150lbs in 6 months or less).