What's your favourite way to exercise/work out?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hiking is my favorite. Also enjoy basketball, gardening and my Total Gym.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying running for it's cheapness(&limited commute) right now, but dancing would be my ideal. :)I am a ballet teacher and I'm going to give some unsolicited advice to the OP: Don't wait to sign up for ballet. Most of it can be modified, and few adult classes make you wear a leotard& tights. Unless you are saving it up as a reward, sign up for a progressive beginner class now, as enrollment should be starting soon for most studios. It's a ton of hard work- you'll really feel it.

Running is cheap?! :noway: :laugh:

Yep. Compared to cycling, it's basically free.

$300 for shoes every year... vs $200 for a bike...

And yeah, I know you could spend more for a bike, but you can spend more for shoes too..

For the casual athlete, biking is less expensive.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Dancing at the club!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying running for it's cheapness(&limited commute) right now, but dancing would be my ideal. :)I am a ballet teacher and I'm going to give some unsolicited advice to the OP: Don't wait to sign up for ballet. Most of it can be modified, and few adult classes make you wear a leotard& tights. Unless you are saving it up as a reward, sign up for a progressive beginner class now, as enrollment should be starting soon for most studios. It's a ton of hard work- you'll really feel it.

And yeah, I know you could spend more for a bike, but you can spend more for shoes too..

What can you get (except maybe an older road bike) for $200?

I like them both equally, I can't ride outside all year 'round (I'm not one of those crazy Canucks that rides outside when it's -40) but I can, ad do, run winter & summer.
  • stanmann571
    Options

I like them both equally, I can't ride outside all year 'round (I'm not one of those crazy Canucks that rides outside when it's -40) but I can, ad do, run winter & summer.

Walmart, Target, etc Lasts 12-18 months.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I disagree... I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. A "causual athlete" isn't going to go get fitted for shoes and buy 2 pairs of high end shoes each year, but then buy a off-the-floor department store bike. They'll go to a bike shop and get a low end bike, which will probably cost $400-$600 minimum. They are either going to get both target shoes and a target bike, or they're going to get shoes from a running store and a bike from a bike shop.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Playing sports for cardio and lifting weights for strength
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

LOL.....I should have qualified it with "what can you get that's worth riding...." I'd go used before buying a big box store bike. They're usually of very poor quality, assembled incorrectly etc...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kO9-o7pcHBg
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting. Crossfit. Strongman.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

People who would ride a $200 bicycle would probably also buy $2 flip-flops for running.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

People who would ride a $200 bicycle would probably also buy $2 flip-flops for running.

Or crocs....
  • stanmann571
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I would ride a $200 bicycle. and I wear $120 sneakers.

I rode a $95 bicycle for a year in Afghanistan, put $20 in parts into it, and sold it for $75 when I left.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Cardio right after I wake up, that way my brain isn't up yet to realize how much I hate cardio.

I live weight lifting!!! If my body could handle it and I didn't have other responsibilities, I'd spend all day lifting
  • KiraChristiansen
    KiraChristiansen Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I don't need a gym membership, I don't have to pay a class fee, and I don't *have* to pay for registration for races if I don't race. I need shoes anyway, and wear normal clothes. So, yeah, as exercise goes, it's cheap.

Edited to quote the correct post.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    As long as it is OUTSIDE!, biking, roller blading,kangoo jumps, stand up paddle boarding, snowshoeing, skating, ANYTHING, new things every day!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I tend to enjoy any exercise I can do if I don't hurt myself doing it. I don't like injuries.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Kayaking, biking, snow shoeing
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I swam and roller skated for summer. Now I'm kayaking and cycling. When it cools off some more I'll get back into trail running. I'd like to learn to ski and ice skate this winter. I also lift weights, but don't really enjoy it. Lifting just makes my butt look great.
  • justanother_pj
    justanother_pj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started indoor bouldering as a way to mix up my workouts, as well as socialize with friends. I absolutely love it and don't know how I went so long without discovering climbing.