Recomp- mini cut or hang in there?

I'm having a bit of trouble with some of the weight I've put on since switching from WW to maintenance/recomp... my jeans are tighter, which is frustrating. I'm doing strong curves right now, and it's going well, im only 2 weeks in. I was hoping to finish the 12 week program before possibly dieting a bit if I still need to.

Does anyone do a mini cut or something during a recomp? Or do you accept a little weight gain if it happens? I'm still trying my best to figure out maintenance, between my new program and strength goals, breastfeeding a toddler, and some sleep deprivation!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Recomp is eating at or slightly below maintenance. Nothing wrong with a 250 or so deficit if that makes you more comfortable.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Two weeks is far too soon to start making changes. Patience!

Every time you change anything you need to let those changes settle or you will be constantly changing direction and won't have a clue what's working and what isn't.

Thanks, that definitely makes sense. How long do you recommend waiting before making any changes?
  • Raegold
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Recomp is eating at or slightly below maintenance. Nothing wrong with a 250 or so deficit if that makes you more comfortable.

Thanks, I was thinking of lowering my calories a little, trying for like 100 calorie deficit, and see if that 'fixes' the problem over the rest of the 12 weeks. Granted my total calories I'm eating is a shot in the dark

• Raegold
    I do honestly get confused though, about a recomp. Like I know people are saying there's this sort of magical time when you first start lifting where you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time... but I don't want to waste my time trying to bust my butt (literally) doing Strong Curves, but was so worried about fat gain that I don't end up making the most of it, in terms of strength and a little size. Does that make sense?
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I would say, hormonally while you are breastfeeding is not the best time for recomp. Prolactin, the hormone you need to produce milk actually has been put in relation with weight gain (which makes sense, as your body needs the extra energy to be able to reliably produce milk).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Raegold wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Two weeks is far too soon to start making changes. Patience!

Every time you change anything you need to let those changes settle or you will be constantly changing direction and won't have a clue what's working and what isn't.

Thanks, that definitely makes sense. How long do you recommend waiting before making any changes?

Weight wise - at least a month.

Exercise routine - 3 months especially when you are just starting out. There's a whole load going on from CNS adaptation to technique improvements, to discovering imbalances (weaknesses or strengths), inflammation from the new stresses you are putting yourself under.....
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    skymningen wrote: »
    I would say, hormonally while you are breastfeeding is not the best time for recomp. Prolactin, the hormone you need to produce milk actually has been put in relation with weight gain (which makes sense, as your body needs the extra energy to be able to reliably produce milk).

Hmm... I have bulked/cut/maintained successfully while I was breastfeeding. But maybe it wouldn't work as well for everyone. Breastfeeding is a tricky thing!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    sardelsa wrote: »

Hmm... I have bulked/cut/maintained successfully while I was breastfeeding. But maybe it wouldn't work as well for everyone. Breastfeeding is a tricky thing!
    I wouldn't say you totally can't, but it is definitely harder to balance out the hormones. There also might be a slight risk of not producing enough milk (which of course in modern time is no problem, just in case exclusively breastfeeding your child is very important for you).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    skymningen wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

I wouldn't say you totally can't, but it is definitely harder to balance out the hormones. There also might be a slight risk of not producing enough milk (which of course in modern time is no problem, just in case exclusively breastfeeding your child is very important for you).

I keep a small deficit when cutting as to not affect my supply. He is 18 months now and we never had any issues.

What I do notice is certain fat deposits are very hard to go.. but I mean, that may not be a result of hormones/breastfeeding, more just stubborn fat being stubborn. Who knows!