Ideas needed for "healthy" birthday party food

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
We're hosting a small birthday party for my one year old son this weekend and will have a few family members over for cake and a song. I'd like to put out some snacks or even a light lunch but I'm having trouble thinking of ideas of healthy (reasonable calories) and easy to put together foods that non-healthy eaters will still enjoy. I've been looking on pintrest but a lot of things require cooking and should be served hot, which sounds like a pain to do while also entertaining. Ideas desperately wanted! Thank you!!

My mother has celiacs so gluten free ideas get an extra gold star :)

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    chips and salsa, bean dip or guacamole, veggie sticks and hummus, deviled or pickled eggs, chicken/egg/crab/tuna/salmon salad in lettuce wraps. Pickled vegetables. Prosciutto wrapped fruit, strawberries drizzled w chocolate or with goat cheese dip, spiced nuts, meatballs.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Fruit kabobs
    Veggie and hummus
    Shrimp salad in cucumber cups
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    How about setting up a taco, slider/burger, potato, rice bowl or chili bar? Make one thing then buy the rest. Include healthy toppings and lots of fresh ingredients.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail
    Smoked salmon & all the fixings (capers, onions, dill, etc.) on crostini (have a dish of gluten-free crackers labelled as such)
    Bruschetta on crostini
    Caprese salad
    Caprese skewers (Cherry tomato-basil leaf-mozz ball-basil leaf-cherry tomato)
    Veggie platter and yogurt-based ranch dip
    Grilled chicken breast skewers with a balsamic dip
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If the weather is hot, I would just prepare some simple sandwiches (basically just bread, cheese, turkey, cut in small triangles) for the kids, a couple of different salads for the adults (e.g. some salad with cold pasta, or some tomato salad variation), add some nachos, and lots of fresh fruit kabobs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Looks like all of the things I've done/seen are already mentioned!

One thing that works especially well at get-togethers among my friend group is having various dips (layered dips, hummus, whatever) but having the option of dipping veggies into it or bread/chips. Usually the more health conscious people will enjoy it with celery, broccoli, and carrots, while those who aren't as concerned will take over the chip side of things.

Another easy option is pizza, having some that are loaded and some that are just margherita on thin crust. That is usually a hit.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    * Fruit salad (can include vanilla yogurt or whipped cream/cool whip as a dip)
    * Shrimp cocktail
    * Veggie plate w/ hummus
    * Kabobs (chicken & pineapple; Steak & veggies)
    * Grilled jalapeno poppers (stuff with light cream cheese, wrap in a strip of bacon, and grill)
    * Air-fried or oven-fried versions of onion rings or sweet potato fries
    * Pineapple whip (freeze fresh or canned pineapple chunks, and blend with a can of coconut milk)
    * Deli meat and cheese rolled up together (or laid out as a meat/cheese plate)
    * Strawberry shortcake (using angel food cake, fresh strawberries, and homemade whipped cream or cool whip)