To much water?

Options
160oz of water yesterday, I felt tired compared to how much energy I usually have. Can I drink to much water each day?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure water can only be toxic if you don't allow yourself to pee. Otherwise your body will use what it needs and get rid of the rest.

I drink 160oz+ all the time. My work provides free bottles of water so I tend to rip through them. 5 16 ounce bottles at work plus another 5-6 pints at home is pretty common.
  • GoProWithJoe
    GoProWithJoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I figured but being new on here that was all that was on my mind so I posted on here! Lol thanks for the tip!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure water can only be toxic if you don't allow yourself to pee. Otherwise your body will use what it needs and get rid of the rest.

I drink 160oz+ all the time. My work provides free bottles of water so I tend to rip through them. 5 16 ounce bottles at work plus another 5-6 pints at home is pretty common.

Uhhhh...no...

Drinking too much water also depletes electrolytes.

Just stay hydrated...there's absolutely no reason to go crazy drinking water...it's foolishness...

It's pretty hard to get Hyponatremia (too much water). You basically have to slam a constant supply of water into your body non-stop for a considerable amount of time. I've only heard of it happening once, when some dumb *kitten* radio station decided to have a contest to see who could drink the most water in a certain amount of time. One of the contestants died from Hyponatremia. I suspect under normal circumstances a person would become uncomfortable drinking that much water well before it became dangerous, and certainly not from 160 ounces in a day.

Drink enough fluids such that your urine is clear to light yellow, assuming you're not taking some supplement that causes changes to your urine color, and you'll be fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    4 litres isn't excessive.

As above, hyponatremia is challenging to achieve, unless your engaged in pretty strenuous, sustained activity.