How much rest is enough?

Options
I have Beachbody on demand so I do a hybrid workout. Tuesday is the elliptical for 30 minutes (20 if I'm very tired), Wed, Thu, Fri are Insanity Max30 workouts, Saturday is one of the Shaun week routines (Ripsanity for those of you who know it), and Sundays are T25's Upper Focus, Lower Focus, and TurboFire's 15 minute HIIT with my 12lb weight vest. Monday is rest or, on occasion, yoga.

I work 55 - 60 hours a week. It's impossible to get seven to eight hours of sleep Mon - Thu. What is the minimum amount of sleep you think I should be aiming for?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For most people it's 7-8 hrs. Just because you say you can't get that much doesn't mean you don't need it or shouldn't be aiming for it. But I'm sure lots of people will come along and say they don't need that much, and for one specific person that's possible. No one on here can say how little YOU can get away with.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    they say 7 to 9, I am lucky to get 3 to 4 with the FABULOUS MENOPAUSE!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Kangoojumps, I feel ya!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a guy who said he could get by on three hours. I usually get about six hours. I've read that women generally need more than men.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Generally I'm on between 5 and 6.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    For me I do best when I can get a full 8hr but I function and get by with 6hr most nights
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Between 8-10 hours a night is my usual. I definitely feel it if i get less than 8 hours.
  • Morgenholt
    Morgenholt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The more you workout and the more stress in your life, the more rest you need. 60 hours a week of work AND 6 days of exercise? You're a superhero. Get as much sleep as possible. Go to bed earlier and earlier until you wake up before your alarm clock. I try for 8-10 hours myself. Obviously this is difficult if not even impossible for someone as busy as you, but that's the problem. You NEED sleep no matter what, and a lot of it.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Since I've started working out a lot more. I naturally only get 5-6 hours a night. I will be starting school soon so I am on break = no alarm clock. I used to never be a morning person, now when I go to bed at 10PM my body just wakes up by 4AM and I'm ready to go. Maybe I'm just getting better sleep???