help me figure this out

Options
So I'm a bit at a loss what's going on with me and I apologize in advance for the small novel, but I want to give all the infos. I'm 5'9, SW 204, CW 179, GW 150. I started in April eating around 1350 calories and the weight came off right on target. I'm quite sedentary due to a desk job and grad school. I often spend all day sitting at work and get home to put in another 5 hours reading or writing papers at the computer. I realize my calories are quite low for my height, but I think with my lifestyle right now it's appropriate.

For the first three months I lost steadily and the trend was down and I was right on MFP's target. About six weeks ago I started a lifting program to preserve some muscles and ever since then the weight hasn't really moved much. I had a big woosh, which was followed by a slow gain. At first I thought the scale might have been off a bit and it would correct itself. I was also pretty sore from the lifting program, so I figured just water retention. Then it was the TOM and again I figured water retention, last Monday was my birthday and I went way over in calories and again I figured water and carbs. But now, it's coming up on a month and my weight hasn't budged. In fact it's on a slow upwards trend on Happy Scale and I think I need to nip this in the bud somehow.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_11_at_3_24_53_PM.png

I weigh everything I eat, I only drink water and log coffee/alcohol, I don't have any freebies that I don't log other than spices such as salt and pepper. I'll log condiments, sauces, oils, butter, etc. I know starvation mode is not real and I know that anyone should be losing at my current calories. I adjusted MFP for my current weight and MFP now gives me 1200, but I usually eat about 1300. I find that I'm satisfied with that, but under 1200 I'm not. I also know that I can't build muscle at a high rate, so I'm at a loss what's going on. I should be losing, and for some reason I'm not. I opened my diary, because I figure I must be eating more than I think I do. Does anyone spot anything unusual, any entries that seem off by a lot? I often eat the same things, so I think they're fairly accurate. I don't weigh the breakfast bar anymore, but I used to. It has never been over the weight declared. Same for eggs, I don't weigh them anymore, but everything else goes on that scale. I have a little mililiter cup that I was using for the oil, but I figured it might not be accurate so I switched back to measuring spoons. I only use generic/cup entries when I eat out and I'm guessing.

I was thinking about eating maintenance for a couple of weeks to give my body a break and see if the hormones are whack (I have PCOS, but no thyroid issues). But I'm worried that if I'm not losing at my current calories because I'm making mistakes somewhere, that I'll gain eating maintenance.

Replies

• lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How is your energy? weight-lifting has a way of messing with the scale. if you have started lifting, i would either maintain or slowly increase your cals (maybe by 100) to help fuel your workouts.

if you are a NEW (like you haven't lifted ever or in 5+ years) you may put on muscle quicker than an intermediate/advanced lifter. are your clothes fitting differently, are you starting to see definition?

just remember the scale is not the only way to track progress :)
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe your over working your muscle or not getting enough protein .
  • geltner2
    geltner2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You have lost significant weight so congratulations! The weight lifting is a great addition for your general health. I think your idea of eating maintenance for a while and continuing a healthful diet and your strength program is a fine idea.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    lorbor93 wrote: »
    How is your energy? weight-lifting has a way of messing with the scale. if you have started lifting, i would either maintain or slowly increase your cals (maybe by 100) to help fuel your workouts.

if you are a NEW (like you haven't lifted ever or in 5+ years) you may put on muscle quicker than an intermediate/advanced lifter. are your clothes fitting differently, are you starting to see definition?

just remember the scale is not the only way to track progress :)

I do feel tired, but I don't know if this because of the deficit or because of school. I don't feel like I have less energy in any case. I'm brand new to lifting, never lifted anything more than a 5lbs dumbbell. Lol
    I haven't noticed any difference in clothing but I did discover that I have an actual biceps. Haha

I read that you can't really put on muscles while in a deficit but that you can increase strength, so I don't really know.
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Maybe your over working your muscle or not getting enough protein .

I'm following a beginner lifting program and a high protein diet.
    geltner2 wrote: »
    You have lost significant weight so congratulations! The weight lifting is a great addition for your general health. I think your idea of eating maintenance for a while and continuing a healthful diet and your strength program is a fine idea.

Thank you. I'm just worried that if I'm maintaining at what I think is a deficit right now, I'll be gaining when I increase to maintenance.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have any input? I just looked at the weekly averages over the last six weeks and it honestly freaks me out.

It went:

That is not a good trend and I don't understand what's going on.