Muscle Gain Math - Bulking

Options
13»

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm very easily confused by numbers and stats...what is the article saying? We don't need much in the way of food as we once thought for muscle gain?

Sorry...
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    Ok, I've re-read the article but is it theoretical? As if I wasn't confused by all of this before now, what he has said throws it all up into the air!

My maintenance is 1600 as quoted by MFP but I have changed it to 1800...because it's 'too low'. I'm a beginner in my first year and I'm an older woman at 42.

On lifting days, 4 days a week, I'll be on 2,000 +

According to Lyle I'm in my way to becoming a fatty...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've re-read the article but is it theoretical? As if I wasn't confused by all of this before now, what he has said throws it all up into the air!

My maintenance is 1600 as quoted by MFP but I have changed it to 1800...because it's 'too low'. I'm a beginner in my first year and I'm an older woman at 42.

Everything is "theoretical" in the sense that you have to experiment with the numbers to find out what works for you. If the numbers say 1600 but you maintain at 1800, then 1800 would be your target.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Everything is "theoretical" in the sense that you have to experiment with the numbers to find out what works for you. If the numbers say 1600 but you maintain at 1800, then 1800 would be your target.

I picked 1800 out of the air to be honest
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Are you gaining at that level? If you are maintaining (which I thought was your goal?) then you are not in a surplus and don't need to worry about fat gain. If your goals are to gain then he recommends keeping the surplus small. However as I mentioned in my previous post it is not set in stone and depends on many factors.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Are you gaining at that level? If you are maintaining (which I thought was your goal?) then you are not in a surplus and don't need to worry about fat gain. If your goals are to gain then he recommends keeping the surplus small. However as I mentioned in my previous post it is not set in stone and depends on many factors.

My goal is to add muscle and obviously need to gain but maybe I'm way off. I was told about maintaining as I'm 8 stones and is my ideal weight but with muscle gain that surely cannot be in the equation.

At my age I cannot expect any quick gains, especially at maintenance and recomp would make it even slower.

I have IBS and my stomach is usually bloated but is the first place to notice fat gains.
  • sardelsa
    Options

My goal is to add muscle and obviously need to gain but maybe I'm way off. I was told about maintaining as I'm 8 stones and is my ideal weight but with muscle gain that surely cannot be in the equation.

At my age I cannot expect any quick gains, especially at maintenance and recomp would make it even slower.

I have IBS and my stomach is usually bloated but is the first place to notice fat gains.

Everything is slow. You don't need to bulk to make progress. Eating at maintenance and recomping does take time but unless you are underweight or ultra lean then I would stick to it for now. Not saying you can't bulk, but just jumping into a bulk is not the way it is typically done for best results.
  • Silkysausage
    Options

Everything is slow. You don't need to bulk to make progress. Eating at maintenance and recomping does take time but unless you are underweight or ultra lean then I would stick to it for now. Not saying you can't bulk, but just jumping into a bulk is not the way it is typically done for best results.

You're very kind and patient, thank you. I'll follow what you are saying, it can get a bit much with too many answers from a bunch of readers. Bless you x
  • sardelsa
    Options

You're very kind and patient, thank you. I'll follow what you are saying, it can get a bit much with too many answers from a bunch of readers. Bless you x

No problem, always happy to help! I know this stuff can be confusing and overwhelming at times, there is sooo much information out there! I say stick with maintenance for now and go from there..be sure to take lots of pictures and measurements every month or so to track progress.. you can always add an extra few calories if you feel ready to start gaining in the future too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Anvil makes sense here. You will see over 6 to 8 weeks if you are maintaining, gaining or losing and adjust from there. It's all an estimate to start and your own data will help you dial it in.
    Sardelsa is correct. I personally feel, unless you have super specific goals, bulking/ cutting and recomp accomplish about the same thing in about the same amount of time. A lot of it is about mentality. Some like the process of bulking and cutting. Some get stressed by the weight gain and the process of cutting to lose it. And yes, Sardelsa is pretty awesome!