Total liquids a day.

Options
I was wondering how much total liquids everyone drinks a day. And is it true the more salt you eat the more water you need and the less salt you eat the less you need to drink.

Thanks

Replies

• KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I drink over a gallon of clear water a day. I don't like to drink calories unless it is of the adult beverage kind so mostly all I drink is water. Seltzer every once in a while and a diet coke or skim milk once in a great while, but normally just water. I am not sure about the whole salt thing though. sodium retains water so I would assume the more water you drink flushes the sodium?? but I truly have no idea so I am sure someone will say if that is right or wrong... ;)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I can have up to 2 liters per day, but usually only get in around 40oz. I tend to hold onto water very easily so a little goes a long way for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Two cans of diet soda and water that I don't quantify. As long as I'm hydrated, I'm good.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Enough that my pee is light.

I don't quantify it (or think about it), although I tend to be drinking a beverage all the time and refill my water often, so a lot.

Curious why so many people seem to think the precise amount is something to worry about. You'd think the human instinct against not being adequately hydrated and the easy availability of water and other beverages would be sufficient; seems to be for me.

There are a few medical conditions where fluid intake has to be closely monitored because the body can't get rid of excess fluids easily (congestive heart failure, kidney disease). In those, too much water causes swelling, large weight gain, high blood pressure and strain on the heart.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't track, but average 3-4 large cups of coffee a day, 1 can of diet soda and then 1-2 bottles of water. Plus I eat a lot of veg/fruit, which have high water contents.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hmm. Sat going through a typical summer day in my head.
    2 coffees with milk and sugar, about 3 litres of water, I have a soda stream and make sure I have 3 full bottles in the fridge cooling for the next day, a can of beer or glass of wine.
    Some days I am under the 3L some over, it depends on what I am doing and the temperature. Oh, if it is really hot,and I am sweaty, I will throw electrolytes in 1L of water- I have a low salt tolerance so know I will need a little 'catch-up'.

All in all, I don't really focus on my liquid intake, I just go with what my needs are for the day. I set up for it in the summer more than the winter.

Cheers, h.

@lemurcat12, much though I would like to drink while eating, it tends to give me hic-ups, so I don't.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it. I drink something when I feel thirsty.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Personally drink when lips starting to feel a bit dry. Also if going to the little room and the colour of the water is darkish-yellowish, knowing needing to drink more.

If it's clear, or able to see through.. means having drinked enough.
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    64 - 96 oz of water depending on the heat. I drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee and some herbal tea (if it is not clear water, I don't track it)
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. If I end up outside in 100° weather pulling weeds and doing yardwork, I drink a lot more than if I am having a normal day. I usually drink well over a gallon a day of water. Plus my coffee.
  • Rebnurse1977
    Rebnurse1977 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    96oz a day is my goal, and I almost always exceed it! If you feel thirsty or your lips are dry, you are way past the point of needing water!