Sugar crash from fruit?

Options
I have been losing weight successfully on a calorie-controlled low-carb diet since January. I focused mostly on removing processed carbs and added sugars, which has worked well. So to this week: I noticed I was feeling some really bad cravings later in the afternoon, and had to fight hard against the urge to binge when I got home. The only thing I can think I was doing differently was that I was eating a lot more fruit than normal. I bought some of those pre-cut fruit cups from Whole Foods (mango, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries) and was eating 1-1.5 cups of fruit after my usual low-carb lunch.

I was always told that fruit doesn't cause blood sugar spikes and crashes because of the fiber, and you can eat it without concern. After my experience this week, though, I'm not so sure. Does anyone have experience with this? Am I imagining it? Thanks.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Diabetics have to take special care, but fruit doesn't cause blood sugar spikes in healthy individuals. I don't think you're imagining things, though. I suspect you're just missing the foods you've cut out.