Motivation after injury

Options
My doctor suspects a ligament tear in my right wrist. I can not put any body weight on my hand, I can't lift weights. Pretty much only exercise I can do is running and bodycombat class. I seriously dislike running, and bodycombat is only 3x a week (instead of 5-6 days of gym I did before). I was getting so much better strength-wise, nearly getting to my first unassisted pull-up. I can't do any of that now. I've had the injury for years, but probably created a bigger tear in the ligament with one failed burpee. Haven't had a pain free day for a month now. :(

I've been super down since hurting my wrist. I haven't got much to lose, some vanity pounds (147 to 138 at 5'8''), but I really wanted to recomp my body and get much stronger. How do you keep motivated after an injury?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    With difficulty. Try to keep the pain in your wrist from getting into your head. Is PT available?

Go on line/YouTube to try to put together some workouts. Low plank. Bosu ball. Work on balance and flexibility. Do you have access to a pool? Don't let the injury take over. Is the injury in your dominant hand? If not, play a racquet sport.

Can you use a brace to keep your wrist stable while you do some other workout? Fight back.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Poor you! I feel your frustration. I have a minor injury myself at the moment which is preventing me going to a fitness class right now (and tomorrow), so I am similarly down and a tiny bit tetchy. Sounds like you are somebody who likes to push themselves and likes a physical challenge (I do too...we have very similar stats and goals). Maybe try a squat or stair climbing challenge or some ballet barre (physique57 dvds are really challenging and there are some only dedicated to your lower half so you shouldn't aggrevate your wrist) OR take a complete turn and dedicate time you'd spend on weights to some stretching/flexibility sessions or yoga OR (don't shoot me), even some meditation sessions (lots to try online).

I generally only like exercise where I sweat but I have to admit that it sticks me in a rut. You might find that given your enforced "time off" you find something else you enjoy which you decide to include in you regime long term. Difficult I know, but maybe see this as an opportunity to discover something new!

Hope the pain eases up soon.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just refuse to give up. Die trying then just sitting. Stay strong