Coconut Oil good for weight loss, lowers cholesteral, arthritis, dementia and altzheimers--Who Knew?

Options
hearthwood
hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
This has been quite a topic of discussion with my family members recently. Again the stuff we were told was bad to eat is now supposedly good. It makes sense--as coconut oil is an MTC medium triglyceride chain. Yes it is saturated fat, but a different saturated fat that is easily absorbed through our system and is NOT stored as fat.

So for decades we have been told to not eat any saturated FAT. What has this done, but made us fatter because we're hungry all of the time and eat more. Fatty meats and HTC--(high chain triglycerides) will be stored and it's very diffcult to get rid of, where the MTC found in Palm Oil & Coconut Oil (MTC) are used as energy, and burned quickly. Now I cannot tolerate it in coffee--but that's what some people are doing-but there are other ways to use this including recipes for making your own granola bars, including just eating it out of the jar.

Here is an article from WEB MD and the lower link are some of the studies on this.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health#1
https://nutritionreview.org/2013/04/medium-chain-triglycerides-mcts/

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Its a current fad and actually raised my cholesterol. I'm tired of these fads..
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Its a current fad and actually raised my cholesterol. I'm tired of these fads..

mine too but I have familial hypercholesterolemia.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I eat it when I'm short on my fat macro and I'm full.

Doesn't do anything else though.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    More "keto magic" woo.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

And eating it out of a jar? No thank you, I can think of a million more fun ways to spend my calories.

Nutella.

I am one of the silent minority who cannot stand the stuff. Now peanut and almond butter? Jar + spoon = bliss.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella! I can also polish a can of condensed milk with a spoon, so there is that.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's peanut butter for me - and dammit the idea of eating it by the spoon never occurred to me until I was on these boards and reading all the "Help, I binge on peanut butter by the spoonful!" threads. :o

eta grammar
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love coconut oil on my skin and hair (especially mixed with Vitamin E), but not in my food or mouth.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i add a tsp of coconut oil in my afternoon cup of coffee. I only do this when I've got the munchies and know I'm going to struggle waiting for dinner without snacking. It definitely helps me in this regard.

I only use it for this purpose, i don't chug down the stuff expecting to lose weight because of it :huh: