4am hunger pangs

Options
Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and all I think about is food. I tend to make a sandwich or in the worst case scenario, I eat a chocolate bar just because sometimes they're there. Anyone do this? If so, what's a good low calorie mid-night snack to kill hunger pangs?

Thanks for taking time to read.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp peanut butter on either 1 slice whole wheat bread or 1/2 apple - 120 cal, very satiating. Anything with fat and protein is good for me. If you know you do this, you could plan ahead and make sure you leave yourself a buffer of 100 or so calories to play around with. Or the other option would be eating more at your last meal of the day so you don't get as hungry at night. You could set your weight loss goal to a slower rate if you are finding yourself constantly hungry.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If this happens occasionally, I would follow @rheddmobile advice.

If this happens more nights than not, you may have something called Night Eating Syndrome, which is a bona fide eating disorder and qualified in the DSM-5. It is not the same as Binge Eating Disorder. NES is not characterized by hunger specifically, but rather by obsessive, sometimes unreasonable beliefs that unless something is eaten, one will not fall back asleep. There are other symptoms as well. It often co-occurs with anxiety disorders, less often but also with depression.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I just split my meals up, I have half my dinner at dinner time then the other half right before bed. I am still under my recommendation, and I sleep better at night.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    100 Calorie yogurt. Or toast with a small amount of butter. Or a cut up apple or two.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and all I think about is food. I tend to make a sandwich or in the worst case scenario, I eat a chocolate bar just because sometimes they're there. Anyone do this? If so, what's a good low calorie mid-night snack to kill hunger pangs?

Do you eat mot of your calories in the morning/afternoon & hardly eat at night? If you're not hungry in the morning forgo breakfast & eat those calories for dinner or a satiating dessert.

Was your body used to eating at 4:00 AM previously?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Having a bed time snack usually prevents hunger from waking me up and keeping me up. If not, I keep 140 calorie Kashi bars in my nightstand.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Having a bed time snack usually prevents hunger from waking me up and keeping me up. If not, I keep 140 calorie Kashi bars in my nightstand.

This is what I was gonna say,just a small snack bar is what I keep by my bed
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp peanut butter on either 1 slice whole wheat bread or 1/2 apple - 120 cal, very satiating. Anything with fat and protein is good for me. If you know you do this, you could plan ahead and make sure you leave yourself a buffer of 100 or so calories to play around with. Or the other option would be eating more at your last meal of the day so you don't get as hungry at night. You could set your weight loss goal to a slower rate if you are finding yourself constantly hungry.

That's a very small tablespoon of peanut butter and a very small slice of bread for 120 cals...