Protein shake recommendations

Options
What's everyone's favourite ones? I'm trying to introducing one mid morning before my lunchtime gym sessions to keep me going, sometimes can feel like I've got a serious lack of energy by this time!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein shakes, and I have a lot of energy from eating food.
  • justxlucy
    justxlucy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend only having one shake a day, straight after your workout! The less supplements the better! Half hour before the gym I have one egg and half an avacado ... before I was doing low carb I'd have a rice cake or two as well xx
  • dlharris1
    dlharris1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for comments, just trying to up my protein with vegetarian diet! I usually have lunch right after workout but could try switching it up I suppose
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find Myprotien to be affordable quality for most sups
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    justxlucy wrote: »
    But of you are gonna get some whey just get the plain one you don't want any extra sugar!!

Most flavoured WPI/WPC have very little carbs - the are usually sweetened with artificial sweeteners, not sugar.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For vegan protein options I love aloha protein. Also have used naked nutrition and currently using nutiva hemp protein. I make smoothies in the AM, protein pancakes and my own protein energy bars/bites with it. Energy bites would be perf for you - there are tons of recipes on Pinterest
  • hope7327
    hope7327 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I only drink a vegan shake. And I've only found one brand of those that actually taste good and aren't filled with crap. The others I've tried weren't even palatable
  • Stephdawn78
    Stephdawn78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Slim fast Vanilla cream with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and strawberries is the best!
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ON whey protein- extreme chocolate. 8 oz almond milk 30 vanilla, 1tbs peanut butter or leave it out if you are short on calories
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Either GNC 100% natural whey strawberry, chocolate, vanilla. All mix really well! That or Herbalife dutch chocolate protein + 2 scoops of Dutch chocolate herbalife healthy meal.
  • DizzyMagpie
    DizzyMagpie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PhD diet whey, smart tec and the bulk powders range are all excellent. Low carb and around 20g protein per scoop.

PhD and smart tec tend to bake better (or mix with Greek yogurt). Bulk powders make a smoother shake.
  • my4boys2002
    my4boys2002 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started using EAS chocolate protein in the morning before the gym
  • herron_jennifer
    herron_jennifer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jay robb protein
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In my view ,whey protein is good one,it's very easy digestive ..
    You can do protein shake with fruits with mix oats or put peanuts or almond like that to prepare on your taste
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself lacking protien from your normal eating habits, try upping protien there first. If you can't. Go to a supplement store and buy several single serving packets in a variety of flavors and types (whey, plant based, egg white...). Some people experience bloating, discomfort and even an upset stomach (diarrhea) with certain protien shakes. This way you spend a little more at the beginning, but don't risk buying something that you don't like or worse, makes you sick to your stomach. Also, the single serve pouches (if you end up ordering online from the maker - they usually send you a sample or two), are great for travelling.
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cellucor cor-performance whey. It taste the best in my opinion and comes in a bunch of flavors
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. I've got the chocolate and the strawberry flavors and they are both great. They mix very well and taste good too. Using milk or a milk substitute make them taste even better but both are fine using just water.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think it's safe to say that ON, Quest, BSN, and PEScience all taste good. Just depends on what kind you want. I like getting casein or a blend so I can make protein fluff as well.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My trainer says we need to eat 1/2 before work out. I do have protein shake within 30min after