Tthe scale actually DOES matter(weight divisions)

Options
Hi Folks,
There are a lot of threads on here about people freaking out about what the scales say, and the usual response is "don't worry about what the scales say, it's what you look like/feel that matters".
In almost every case I agree,
HOWEVER, for some of us the scales DO matter. Anyone in a sport with weigh divisions or classes knows exactly what I mean.
In these cases you obviously want to be as fit + lean as possible, but what the scales say really DOES matter.

So, who all competes in sports with weight divisions?
who has other reasons for really caring about those stupid numbers?

Replies

• muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    D'oh, messed up the title...

and weights in lbs[edit formatting]- for Muay Thai(weights in lbs)
    division min weight max weigh
    mini Flyweight 100 - 105
    light flyweight 105 - 108
    flyweight 108 - 112
    super flyweight 112 - 115
    bantamweight 115 - 118
    super bantamweight 118 - 122
    featherweight 122 - 126
    super featherweight 126 - 130
    lightweight 130 - 135
    super lightweight 135 - 140
    welterweight 140 - 147
    super welterweight 147 - 154
    middleweight 154 - 160
    super middleweight 160 - 158
    light heavyweight 168 - 175
    cruiserweight 175 - 190
    super cruiserweight 190 - 210
    heavyweight 210 - 230
    super heavyweight 230+
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,
    There are a lot of threads on here about people freaking out about what the scales say, and the usual response is "don't worry about what the scales say, it's what you look like/feel that matters".
    HOWEVER, for some of us the scales DO matter. Anyone in a sport with weigh divisions or classes knows exactly what I mean.
    In these cases you obviously want to be as fit + lean as possible, but what the scales say really DOES matter.

For any given item I can find an extreme edge case scenario to prove someone wrong... this is that edge case here because the majority are here to LOSE WEIGHT AND GET IN SHAPE, they're not (yet) elite athletes who's starve themselves the day before a match and spit in a cup all day to lose a bit more water weight to get into a lighter weight class, when people say things like "weight doesn't matter" they mean for 99% of people... and for 99% of people it makes absolutely no difference what so ever compared to inches and bodyfat %.
  • muayqis
    Options
    Hi Folks,

For any given item I can find an extreme edge case scenario to prove someone wrong... this is that edge case here because the majority are here to LOSE WEIGHT AND GET IN SHAPE, they're not (yet) elite athletes who's starve themselves the day before a match and spit in a cup all day to lose a bit more water weight to get into a lighter weight class, when people say things like "weight doesn't matter" they mean for 99% of people... and for 99% of people it makes absolutely no difference what so ever compared to inches and bodyfat %.

I completely agree,
    I guess i should've made this a poll, but didn't.

Just wondering how many people on here actually are in that edge case.

(p.s starving and spitting in a cup completely sucks)
  • muayqis
    Options
    on a side note:

For any given item I can find an extreme edge case scenario to prove someone wrong... this is that edge case here because the majority are here to LOSE WEIGHT AND GET IN SHAPE, they're not (yet) elite athletes who's starve themselves the day before a match and spit in a cup all day to lose a bit more water weight to get into a lighter weight class,

i guess this line here is the one i take exception to, Everyone is always talking about 'losing weight' but for the majority that's not actually their goal, but they still become fixated with the numbers on the scales when they needn't. but i think that's a whole 'nother post