Goal Setting

Options
Does anyone else struggle with basic goal setting? And it doesn't have to be fitness related..I feel like I'm really losing at life and can't focus or try and set goals for fear I won't reach them anyway and I'll be a failure. With workouts I feel like it's easier because you see the results...is it just me?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Workouts can train your brain. I learned incrementalism in the gym. If you aren't reaching your goals, maybe you haven't made the pieces small enough.

Almost everyone can figure out 10 reps @ 15 lbs, then 12 reps, then 15 reps, then back to 10 reps @ 20 lbs. Same method can be applied to about anything. Get the fact that the project is due in 2 months out of your head. Concentrate on the piece in front of you. When that piece is done, go right to the next one.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You be dat badass, girl!!!!
  • CarolineBarnard
    CarolineBarnard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle too, so often I give into cravings and end up starving to stay under my calorie intake. Anyone else?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're a winner just setting some goals. I think you might be a perfectionist and judge yourself too harshly when you don't make consistent progress. Setbacks are not failures, they are part of the long term process, and you just get back on your horse and do better the next day. I began setting small achievable goals, like getting to work on time for a week. Then I made a goal of taking a 30 minute walk every other day. Then I made a goal to walk 30 minutes every day. I found I need to look at the big picture, but also break everything down to small sub-goals. On MFP, I made a long term goal to lose X number of pounds, but I celebrate my (slow) progress every 5 pounds.
  • MamaCassK
    MamaCassK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Y'all are so great, you all give great advice!! So grateful for your responses!
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else struggle with basic goal setting? And it doesn't have to be fitness related..I feel like I'm really losing at life and can't focus or try and set goals for fear I won't reach them anyway and I'll be a failure. With workouts I feel like it's easier because you see the results...is it just me?

I'm battling this right now... and to make matters worse I don't get inspired by fitness or activities at all. I have no interest in joining a hiking club, climbing a mountain or taking a fitness or activity class. I am struggling to find something yo keep me going.
  • MamaCassK
    MamaCassK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can understand that! I had to break it down to what do I want, how do I want to feel and how much am I willing to commit-I use Pinterest a lot for inspiration and guidance honestly with exercises and keeping things interesting and not getting bored!!