How to loose belly fat ?

I am 5.8 feet, and 153 lbs, waist is 40, initially I want to lose belly fat and then my waist.
So feel free to suggest me what to do, and what not to do.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    There is nothing you can do, except be in a deficit and hope for the best. Spot reducing is not a thing. Toning may help shape things out eventually.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    There is no way to target specific areas of your body when reducing body fat, it gets burned from wherever it happens to be throughout your body.
    You need to burn more calories each day than you consume to ensure your body will burn some fat.
    The most effective way to achieve that is to reduce how much you eat and keeping an accurate food diary (such as the one provided here in MFP) will help you keep on track.
    You can get some extra fat burning from exercise and if you include sit-ups or other stomach muscle developing activities in your execise routine then you'll have an improved shape at your waist as the weight comes off.
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    A good mixture of cardio and weight training, with a calorie deficit. You can try quick fix diets that will reduce your water weight but they're not long term solutions. It takes around 3 months to get rid of that belly fat, well depending on your size.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited August 2017
    OP: The only way to lose belly fat is to lose body fat. Can't spot reduce but if your overall body drops, so will your belly fat.

However, I'm a little perplexed by your stats.

I am 5'8" and have had a 40" waist (twice) but I was over 190# each time. The last time 14 months ago, I was 196# and have since lost 38# during which time my waist dropped to 33" (as measured) but now fit into 32" pants. My overall measurements are 42C, 33W & 38H w/8.7% BF and a BMI score of 24 (just 1 pt under "overweight") given my higher than "normal" LBM to BF ratio.

What confuses me about your stats is how you can be 5'8" and weigh only 153# but still have a 40" waist.

If you take the standard approach and go on a deficit diet to lose weight in order to lose fat, you could drop 30# down to 123 and still have a "normal" BMI rating of 18.7 (at the extreme low end of the range) but I'm not sure you'd want to lose THAT much weight (or that it would be even healthy to do so) given your height.

Have you ever weighed in the 120 range as an adult? If so, how was your health and fitness at that weight? If they were ok, then I assume you could set 30# as an acceptable weight loss objective.

However, if 120 was NOT a good weight range for you (or if you've never weighed so little b4) , you might choose to just lose 10-20# instead and then switch to recomp in order to swap the remaining body/belly fat for LBM to keep your weight constant in the 130-140 wt range which might be a better weight for you.

On the other hand, if you want to stay at 150, then your only option would be recomp.

You just need to decide what your weight and BF% goals will be and then design a program suitable to achieve it.

Apart from weighing yourself and logging all food intake on MFP daily, I also strongly recommend that you get a DXA scan and/or hydrostatic test done b4 you start your weight loss effort and quarterly thereafter to measure and monitor your LBM and BF levels.

Good luck!