I need to stop lifting - what now?

I'm 61 and have a chronic illness,osteoporosis and degenerative disc disease. I started on nerd fitness towards the end of last year and moved on to SL 5x5 about 6 months ago. I've been progressing (slowly!) But as the weights have increased,I've suffered on and off with shoulder and neck pain. (About 4 years ago I shattered my scapula on the right hand side and suspect that side is still weak) Usually it heals after resting and icing but this time it hasn't. I've seen my gp who says no more lifting. Especially anything that involves lifting above shoulder level,so OHP and bench press is pretty much out.
Can anyone recommend a bodyweight programme that would work my upper body? I can still do bodyweight squats,Lunges,Glute bridges, but not sure how to work my arms ,shoulders etc. I don't have access to a gym.
I'm really sad about this ,any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    @comptonelizabeth, sorry to hear about your shoulder and the ban on lifting.

It may be worth you asking your GP for a PT referral to guide you on using your shoulder without further injuring it and ways to cope with the osteoporosis and degenerative disc.

Otherwise- I don't have much to recommend for bodywork but I have heard both Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym are good books.
    Also, as you have done Nerdfitness why not have a look around the site to see if there is another programme that will suit you.

Cheers, h.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Thank you !
    I'm in the UK so there'll be a waiting list for physio unless I go to a private one but yes,I'll ask her.
    I liked the nerd fitness beginner's programme so will have a look at the site.
    Many thanks
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Ask your dr, but my guess would be you need to move towards different types of exercise routines. Like swimming (it is not strength training obviously) but it is upper body exercise, or pilates (which is strength training, but you will need an instructor who really knows what he/she is doing or you risk further injuries).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Could you ask your GP if resistance bands would be suitable?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited August 2017
    Kettlebell workouts - look up the turkish getup. Obviously check with your doc/pt, but it is supposed to really help strengthen all the shoulder muscles. They use it for diagnostic purposes in PT and rehab in some clinics for rotator cuff injuries. I would google specifically "TKU and shoulder injury" to see if it needs any adaptions.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I second the physio referral. I've just been referred and my wait is "only" two months. I know others who have been seen quicker. But two months vs never really knowing what I can and can't do is fine by me.

There's a lot of body weight things you can do, I know Fitness Blender will let you filter on their website and there's others on Youtube you can search for too (FB are just my favourites).

But I know how frustrating it is, I've just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia on one side so I'm probably going to have to modify but it's degenerative so at some point I might have to change everything i do and/or have surgery.

Good luck!
  • Gab149
    Gab149 Posts: 26 Member
    Physio, definitely. Ask about resistance bands and isolation exercises with very light weights to start with. It will take time, but with proper supervision and training, you should be able to work towards getting some upper body strength back.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Thank you everyone. I will definitely ask my gp about physio. And yes,I thought about swimming too. Sorry to hear others are also suffering. I guess it's a case of adapt,adapt,adapt rather than giving up !
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Is yoga allowed? In addition to increasing flexibility, it's great for building strength using only body weight. It's nice to be able to attend some classes to receive feedback on form from the teacher, but there are lots of youtube videos you could use for free at home.
  • comptonelizabeth
    hedwardsb wrote: »
    Is yoga allowed? In addition to increasing flexibility, it's great for building strength using only body weight. It's nice to be able to attend some classes to receive feedback on form from the teacher, but there are lots of youtube videos you could use for free at home.

I used to do a lot of yoga - I had a very good teacher who understood my back problems and would advise me to skip or modify certain positions. That's a good idea - I find I am more motivated to do things at home but really I know I need guidance on this,as it's probably because I've been working out at home that I've injured myself!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Echoing the "check in with a physio"...

Also echoing the swimming or yoga suggestions... Have you considered TRX? Again, not without approval from your doctor... We have one available to us at our gym, and we've added on in our basement as well. Lots of variety of body-weight workouts available...
  • comptonelizabeth
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Echoing the "check in with a physio"...

Also echoing the swimming or yoga suggestions... Have you considered TRX? Again, not without approval from your doctor... We have one available to us at our gym, and we've added on in our basement as well. Lots of variety of body-weight workouts available...

I had to Google TRX! Never heard of it but it looks interesting. I'll ask my gp . Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    I'm 61 and have a chronic illness,osteoporosis and degenerative disc disease. I started on nerd fitness towards the end of last year and moved on to SL 5x5 about 6 months ago. I've been progressing (slowly!) But as the weights have increased,I've suffered on and off with shoulder and neck pain. (About 4 years ago I shattered my scapula on the right hand side and suspect that side is still weak) Usually it heals after resting and icing but this time it hasn't. I've seen my gp who says no more lifting. Especially anything that involves lifting above shoulder level,so OHP and bench press is pretty much out.
    Can anyone recommend a bodyweight programme that would work my upper body? I can still do bodyweight squats,Lunges,Glute bridges, but not sure how to work my arms ,shoulders etc. I don't have access to a gym.
    You CAN still lift, but you're going to have to stay away from exercises that aggravate the shoulder issue. I can't recommend what to do because I've not done an assessment on ROM though. Ask to see a physical therapist through your health insurance and they can give you an idea of what's allowable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I had to give up free weight after a rotator cuff injury. I settled on running for exercise and also do planks. I gradually started back with a Nautilus workout using a light setting but then developed knee pain so I am basc to just running now. I am tempted to try Yoga but I will likely wait until I retire due to lack of time. The only way I fit running in is to do it at 4:30 AM. Best of luck!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You CAN still lift, but you're going to have to stay away from exercises that aggravate the shoulder issue. I can't recommend what to do because I've not done an assessment on ROM though. Ask to see a physical therapist through your health insurance and they can give you an idea of what's allowable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

She's in the UK ;) She'll just get referred to a physio though her GP, no health insurance needed or involved.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

I'm surprised the GP suggested stopping lifting. In general weight bearing exercise is recommended to help build bone mass in osteoporosis.

Sample article:
    https://www.iofbonehealth.org/exercise-recommendations

Also, per my understanding, degenerative disc disease is not uncommon, humans start developing it basically after birth. Of course there are varying degrees.

I would not suggest going against what a medical professional who has examined you has given for guidance. I would agree with other posters to check with a physical therapist who is working with your doctor to help you with an exercise program.

Best of luck.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ditto on seeing a physio. A GP isn't likely to have the specific knowledge and experience that will help you. Maybe a (much) slower progression or holding steady on the weights for a while - the PT might have an answer on that or suggestions for alternate exercises.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ..and a PT will have much more experience working with athletes for whom, "just don't do it anymore" isn't a viable option than a GP - and should be able to guide you accordingly.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I am sorry, health issues are such a pain especially when you're active. I was going to suggest swimming/water exercises for resistance and yoga, but I hope you are able to get pt soon!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm surprised the GP suggested stopping lifting. In general weight bearing exercise is recommended to help build bone mass in osteoporosis.

Sample article:
    https://www.iofbonehealth.org/exercise-recommendations

Also, per my understanding, degenerative disc disease is not uncommon, humans start developing it basically after birth. Of course there are varying degrees.

I would not suggest going against what a medical professional who has examined you has given for guidance. I would agree with other posters to check with a physical therapist who is working with your doctor to help you with an exercise program.

Best of luck.

I think it was because of the shoulder pain rather than anything else. In the past she's actually encouraged lifting for the osteoporosis and yes,you're right,disc degeneration isn't uncommon.
    I think a physio will be more clued up on the whole thing.