coffee

Options
I'm pretty good about weighing and measuring everything I eat or drink. Well I was until I fell off the wagon, but that's another story...

Anyway, I have never weighed or measured my coffee until this morning. What I always thought was around 50 calories is actually over 100! Most days I have at least 2 cups...

Creamer is killing my coffee vibes right now. Does anyone use a low calorie creamer that tastes good? Currently I use International Delight sugar free hazelnut. (I just free pour it until I get a nice color.) ahhh this sucks...

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using less creamer? I personally use milk in my coffee and have since reduced that. Or you can just fit it into your daily calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has zero calories. If you can get the individual tubs of creamer, try an office supply store, the hazelnut has 30 calories in an individual 11 ml tub.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it black. I may switch back, or try milk. I got used to flavors but there is flavored coffee I could try.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yea I had thought that maybe the individual cups would help with my heavy hand lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good about weighing and measuring everything I eat or drink. Well I was until I fell off the wagon, but that's another story...

Anyway, I have never weighed or measured my coffee until this morning. What I always thought was around 50 calories is actually over 100! Most days I have at least 2 cups...

Creamer is killing my coffee vibes right now. Does anyone use a low calorie creamer that tastes good? Currently I use International Delight sugar free hazelnut. (I just free pour it until I get a nice color.) ahhh this sucks...

First off, try reducing to only 1 cup a day. That way you can have that 1 cup exactly how you like it without it costing you an insane amount of calories by having 2 0r 3 of them in a day. I used to be triple-triple kinda gal, 3 cups a day. Reduced it to two, then to 1, and then *very gradually* started cutting back on what I put in that one, too.

Today my morning coffee has stevia in it and a splash of light cream and it tastes good! :)
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    A high quality coffee doesn't need a bunch of add-ins, and even though it costs more, you'll save money from not having to buy flavored creamers and such so it pretty much evens out.

I went from dumping gobs of calories into my store brand generic coffee grinds, to grinding my own beans of a high quality (Haitian) coffee and the only thing I add to it is a bit of splenda.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    International Delights is a non-dairy "cream" with flavor added...kind of like a substitute version of a latte or cafe au lait with syrup flavor...
  • fritch_gets_fit26
    fritch_gets_fit26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to use sugar and cream in my coffee, and it is startling to see how many calories there are. I just started using less and less...I would get the pre-measured cups (like what they have at restaurants and gas station coffee bars) and that was all the creamer I could have...now I drink it black with only 1 packet of splenda...it is much lower in calories (I think about 15 calories)...which is great because I tend to drink about a pot and a half a day.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it black. I may switch back, or try milk. I got used to flavors but there is flavored coffee I could try.

I never used to be able to drink my coffee black, ever. But I bought my own coffee syrups, sugar free. One day I just decided to try black coffee with a sugar free syrup. I was actually surprised just how good it was. So now I can drink it both ways. On days I'm not hungry, I add milk. On days I'm a bit more hungry, I drink it black with syrup.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use half & half. 40 cals for 2 tablespoons
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly cutting down what I put in, I used to have three creams three sugars, now im down to one cream one sugar! I'd like to eventually drink it black, but who knows if I will ever get there.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I over loaded my coffee with cream and sugar and just decided one day to switch to black never went back. I love all the different notes and flavors naturally between sumatra and Italian dark roast and Fall Blend green mountain, etc. I equate it to the enjoyment between Pinot and Shiraz. Give it a go:)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    Speaking as a Brit (or maybe just an ignoramus) what is creamer?

For some reason Americans got into having cream (or half-and-half) in their coffee instead of milk. You can get little tubs that are a couple of tablespoons of cream, and restaurants tend to use thiose. There's also the abomination that is powdered creamer. It actually gets called "coffee whitener" because its often non-dairy. I call it "coffee paint."

(I grew up putting milk in my coffee and that's what I prefer).
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    robm1brown wrote: »
    Speaking as a Brit (or maybe just an ignoramus) what is creamer?

For some reason Americans got into having cream (or half-and-half) in their coffee instead of milk. You can get little tubs that are a couple of tablespoons of cream, and restaurants tend to use thiose. There's also the abomination that is powdered creamer. It actually gets called "coffee whitener" because its often non-dairy. I call it "coffee paint."

(I grew up putting milk in my coffee and that's what I prefer).

Also a Brit, so 'creamer' is just cream? And half and half is half cream, half milk?

To clarify, it is a thing to have cream in coffee here, though less common than milk, but we just call it cream.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify: Creamer is only the fake stuff. Powdered or liquid non-dairy.

Cream is whole cream. Half-and-half is half cream, half milk.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, we have powdered milk here, and 'coffee mate' which might be like your creamer, I have never been tempted to try it!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Powdered milk, if it truly is just dried milk, is different. Creamer is almost always non-dairy.

Yes, Coffee Mate is a creamer. You're not missing anything. :)
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I feel you there! I used to "free pour" my creamer too until I realized just how much I was adding in... EEK. Now I keep my measuring spoons next to my coffee pot. 1T on good days, 2T on days I need a pick me up or something sweet. :) I'm not a huge fan of black coffee by itself.

At my work they don't have liquid creamer, so I've been using a bit of Splenda and powdered creamer. Not quite as tasty, but it gets the job done, and it's quite a few calories lower than the liquid creamer.