Weighing food - oz vs g

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You could do either...I've personally not found it necessary to weigh everything to the gram...while it is more precise, that level of precision isn't really necessary IMO. I typically weigh in grams when grams is what is listed on the label as a serving...otherwise I just use ounces and I'm no worse for it...

pretty much what I do too
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I go by the unit of measurement on the serving size. If it tells me a serving is 4 oz, I weigh out 4 oz, if it says a serving is 28 grams, I weigh 28 grams

This

• 08_GreenEyedMomma
    08_GreenEyedMomma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    grams are what are listed in the Nutrition Facts

I hadn't thought of it that way. Now that you've pointed it out, it seems obvious.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I go by the unit of measurement on the serving size. If it tells me a serving is 4 oz, I weigh out 4 oz, if it says a serving is 28 grams, I weigh 28 grams

That part
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I use whatever the nutrition info on the package uses (95% of the time that's grams), or grams for unmarked stuff.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    but the people shouting "you're not losing weight because you're not weighing in grams" always has me scratching my head.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I only see it as people saying someone isn't losing weight because they aren't using a scale AT ALL. The people eyeballing or using measuring cups are going to be the ones with the biggest issues. Onces/grams - whatever - you're a lot closer to reality than any other methods.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use grams because most of the nutrition info is in grams. Easy peasy. If it's in ounces, I just switch over, and then switch back.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    @rosie3660 I purchased mine on Amazon. The brand name is "Ozeri". I don't remember the exact price; but it was under 10 dollars. There are many god ones to chose from.

This is the one I have as well. Nice little scale and great battery life, too.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You could do either...I've personally not found it necessary to weigh everything to the gram...while it is more precise, that level of precision isn't really necessary IMO. I typically weigh in grams when grams is what is listed on the label as a serving...otherwise I just use ounces and I'm no worse for it...

I agree with this. But if you're on a small calorie budget, like 1200 or so day, then you might need to be ultra-precise. I'm very active and don't put too much effort into it because I have a decent calorie allotment for the day. And I'm a little lazy at times. LOL

At the end of the day it's whatever works best for you to stick to your goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer grams, because I don't really like/see the point of oz as a measurement. Plus, the standard USDA entries which I use whenever possible tend to have 100 g options, so I can just weigh and input .86 (for 86 grams) or the like.

Ounces are just as nuanced if the scale does decimals for them, but it's such a clunky measurement and after weighing and using grams regularly I think in grams for small amounts. Also, I think using oz encourages relying on a label that says 5 oz or some such, and of course that's often off by a decent amount (but you don't have to weigh to be successful anyway, I just like being exact when I bother doing it).

On the other hand, I have to do the math for kilos (I mean converting to lbs, divide by 2.2, obviously I can convert from grams to kilograms easily) and for a human weight probably will never be able to move away from lbs, so I am not consistent!
  • 08_GreenEyedMomma
    08_GreenEyedMomma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I've been using my scale almost religiously for 2wks, except for a family reunion & unexpected dinner out with friends. I was just curious because I've been seeing either or on the forums, and I wanted an opinion on what some people think is the better option. Using the unit from the label makes so much sense I'm not sure why I didn't think of it! :p So that's the route I'll be going. Just wish my scale had the button on the front instead of the back to change from g to oz. :neutral:
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Grams is more accurate

This for sure!