Will eating over maintenance once a week cause weight gain?

I'm 5'4, 115 pounds and I'd consider myself sedentary. I eat 1500 calories per day, but I work out 3-4x a week and average 10 000 steps on my rest days. If I eat 2000 calories once a week, would this lead to weight gain?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If your average TDEE truly is 1500 and your logging is accurate then every seven weeks you might gain a pound.
    Sounds a bit unlikely to be that low.

Only way you will know for sure is to try it for an extended period of time to see a slow upward trend developing.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    That depends on your calorie needs. Personally, I'm very successful with eating at weight loss calories (and tracking and weighing) 4-5 days/week and then loosening up for 2-3 days. It sounds like a similar method might be what you're looking for. Just pay attention to what works for you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Why do you consider yourself sedentary? 10000 steps a day would be active.
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member

I only do 10 000 steps on my rest days (3x a week). On the days that I work out, I do an hour of cardio combined with weight lifting, but otherwise average closer to 2000-3000 steps outside of the gym.
  • sijomial

I only do 10 000 steps on my rest days (3x a week). On the days that I work out, I do an hour of cardio combined with weight lifting, but otherwise average closer to 2000-3000 steps outside of the gym.

You do seem to be estimating low on everything.
    That's c. average of 6,000 steps a day when averaged out.
    Are you accounting for your exercise in any way? (Either TDEE or MFP methods.)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It might, it might not. Depends how accurate you log, depends on how much you burn working out & if you eat those. Depends if having those extra calories makes you feel better & ends up unknowingly bumping your NEAT.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    If all your counting and logging is correct, and you eat 100 cals per day over maintenance, (700 per week) you will gain about 1 lb per month.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    You need to calculate your weekly TDEE to be able to answer your question. If your daily calorie intake doesn't take you over then you shouldn't put on weight. E.g.:

If your weekly TDEE is 12000 and you eat only 1500 cals a day for 6 days (9000 cals), that leaves you with 3000 cals for day 7. If you then only eat 2000 cals on day 7 you are still on an average 1000 calorie deficit for the week.

You see, one day doesn't ruin a diet. Look beyond one day and focus on the entire week.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    If you work out 3-4 times a week with 10000 steps on rest days, then you're not sedentary. 1500 calories isn't maintenance for your height and weight, you would still be in a deficit. So an extra 500 calories once a week only averages out to an additional 71 calories every day, which most likely would STILL keep you in deficit. No, you are not going to gain weight on that.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member

I'm really not sure you understand what "sedentary" means, then. It has nothing to do with the amount of steps you take every day, but the total amount of physical activity you do weekly. You are telling us that you work out several times a week, and do 10000 steps on days you don't work out. That's nowhere near sedentary.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    edited August 2017

I'm really not sure you understand what "sedentary" means, then. It has nothing to do with the amount of steps you take every day, but the total amount of physical activity you do weekly. You are telling us that you work out several times a week, and do 10000 steps on days you don't work out. That's nowhere near sedentary.
    Sedentary refers to your normal daily work/life routine. Intentional walking and exercise are logged in addition. Sedentary with 2000-3000 steps is appropriate for OP. Log the exercise and extra walking on rest days and eat back half the exercise cals. This is basic MFP process.
  • sijomial
    lorrpb wrote: »

Sedentary refers to your normal daily work/life routine. Intentional walking and exercise are logged in addition. Sedentary with 2000-3000 steps is appropriate for OP. Log the exercise and extra walking on rest days and eat back half the exercise cals. This is basic MFP process.

But her average is far higher than that as per the OP.
    The activity setting has to be an average otherwise it's being understated.
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

You do seem to be estimating low on everything.
    That's c. average of 6,000 steps a day when averaged out.
    Are you accounting for your exercise in any way? (Either TDEE or MFP methods.)

No, just eating maintenance calories set as sedentary. I don't eat any exercise calories back which backfired on me since I've developed a binge eating problem that happens a few times a month. I will definitely up my daily calorie intake and recalculate my tdee.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    If you work out 3-4 times a week with 10000 steps on rest days, then you're not sedentary. 1500 calories isn't maintenance for your height and weight, you would still be in a deficit. So an extra 500 calories once a week only averages out to an additional 71 calories every day, which most likely would STILL keep you in deficit. No, you are not going to gain weight on that.

this is woo. there are a lot of possible combinations in MFP settings. one needs to understand how it works and make sure that all activities - dedicated cardio, daily life steps, lifting etc. are counted EXACTLY ONCE. there are multiple ways to achieve these settings.

eg. i average 2500-5000 steps daily without intentional cardio. so i keep my activity setting at 'sedentary'. Any steps more than 5000, I manually log them as cardio to get the calorie offset. Similarly I manually log weight training to get an offset of a few calories. i have no apps or gear synced with MFP.

what is suggested here ^^ is most simple and sound imo, but there are other ways to set up MFP as well.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    misnomer1 wrote: »

this is woo. there are a lot of possible combinations in MFP settings. one needs to understand how it works and make sure that all activities - dedicated cardio, daily life steps, lifting etc. are counted EXACTLY ONCE. there are multiple ways to achieve these settings.

eg. i average 2500-5000 steps daily without intentional cardio. so i keep my activity setting at 'sedentary'. Any steps more than 5000, I manually log them as cardio to get the calorie offset. Similarly I manually log weight training to get an offset of a few calories. i have no apps or gear synced with MFP.

what is suggested here ^^ is most simple and sound imo, but there are other ways to set up MFP as well.

Right but OP said she doesn't log her activity and eat calories back so she should not be set at sedentary.