Gym closing the sauna and steam rooms because of health risks

Options
I just found out that all our metro YMCA locations are closing their saunas and steam rooms for good. I just read a local news article about it. There's not been any documented cases of anything happening, the board just decided they're not worth the risk anymore I guess? Has this happened anywhere else, like out of the blue? I don't use them that much but I always use the sauna right after a long swim. How would you take this news at your gym (just curious)? They are dry saunas too....I get the steam room, but a dry sauna?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have never been in the sauna at my gym. So I guess I wouldn't be too impacted if they closed it.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yep - it's about the maintenance as well as the risk of liability (Legionnaire's disease, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, HPV, Klebsiella, etc.). It's very expensive / time consuming to deep clean and health regulations are becoming very comprehensive - so most places don't want to bother. It was probably a joint decision between the Board and the Management.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have seen a couple of places do away with them. They are required to be cleaned out nightly, and that takes time, added to the risk, and the smaller gym I went to argued that no one ever used it. I know they other gym it is used, but time, costs money, that added to health risks, I can see Boards saying that it is not worth it. (You could try to raise cane with Management, and if enough people do maybe they might re-assess it.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The biggest risk is that you see things that can never be unseen.

Body shaming isn't cool. Not at all.

I don't think it's "body shaming" to not want to see random strangers' in various stages of sweaty undress :neutral:

OP I too would bet it's the cost of upkeep and sanitation and worries about a lawsuit if an employee drops the ball in that area. Especially YMCA, if they are experiencing budget cuts or less business, that would be an easy area to cut w/o hurting attendance too much.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

One of the locations I frequent has an open shower area, like high school locker rooms. I don't care if everyone is naked, lol. I see waaaaaay worse things in my line of work, trust me, a naked body is no big deal.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I can see why they could make the decision to close them. I guess it just came as a surprise. I'll still have the hot tub if I want to warm up after a swim but I'm not bringing a swim suit JUST to get in there to relax. The main location I go to doesn't even have those facilities anyway, even though during winter I dream of walking in from the cold and going directly to the sauna, lol.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Nice to see a good sense of humour.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

I think he's talking naked people sitting with no towels on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My gym has a sauna & steam room Mainly use the steamroom; sometimes the sauna.

Would be annoyed if any of them were closed but not enough to quit the gym. Doesn't matter in terms of membership fee because that's free to me under Medicare. Also doubt I'd change gyms because of it because the gym's location is most convenient to me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

They aren't ashamed. Not at all.

Not when they are grooming themselves.

Not when they are doing stretches.

Not when they doing push-ups and other calisthenics.

Not when they are urinating in the corner.

It's not the bodies. It's what they do with them that's so funny. (Except the urination--that's gross).

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to see raw and sweaty bums, boobs or peckers is not body shaming, it's just my preference living in a civilised society and all...

As for the sauna, back in the day when i used to go to the gym, they required you to call ahead if you wanted to use the sauna so they could switch it on!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Haahaa yeah, there's no body shaming in not wanting to see bits that aren't attached to my significant other.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Haven't been in a sauna since college since it was lore that you could sweat out the 18 beers you had on Friday to get ready for Saturday.