Will running sabotage a muscle building program?

Options
I'm doing Chalean Extreme, want to burn and move more than is in the program and want to know if adding a 5k in the AM is going to divert body resources and limit muscle growth. Thanks.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    To build muscle you must also have a calorie surplus. Chalean Extreme is more cardio than a muscle building program.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No. Running a 5k isn't going to zap your gains as long as you are eating enough and following a good program.
    If you are serious about building muscle, you would be better off following a good full body strength program though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling your bulk properly you'll be fine. The more cardio you do, the more you have to eat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The idea that cardio interferes with building muscle is pretty questionable broscience (especially with a shortish run) but as pointed out packing on muscle requires a caloric surplus.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If your goal really is muscle building then following a regime which isn't focused on muscle building is going to be far more of a hindrance than a short run.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Last time I did this program I built a nice muscle base but that was six years ago. I'm a 58 year old woman. Main girl al is fitness, with the hardbody that goes with it. I've been mostly doing cardio lately but body beast is beyond me, can't even do a proper push-up anymore. Will do the beast again but it's too much at this point.
    I like cardio, though, running and kickboxing especially and don't want to give it up. Resting pulse is 56, plan to keep my cardio health.
    Actually sent away for a DNA test to find out best diet and regimen. At my age I need all the help I can get,lol.
  • Witchdoctor58
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think many of you are confused. This is a program that has 3 heavy weight workouts, one bodyweight bootcamp workout and one cardiosculpt, plus abs and a stretch per week. This is a solid bodybuilding program appropriate for my current goals. This is NOT a cardio program, which is partly why I want to include some of my own to counterbalance the lack. Resting pulse 55 this AM and I want to keep it nice and low.
    Also, I'm looking for info on macro proportions, not absolute calorie counts. My fitbit gives me a good idea of daily burn, which is about 2000, and I'm aiming for 1600 to 1700cal/d. Right now I'm hitting the protein hard, about 50%, with carbs and fat at 25%.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I think many of you are confused. This is a program that has 3 heavy weight workouts, one bodyweight bootcamp workout and one cardiosculpt, plus abs and a stretch per week. This is a solid bodybuilding program appropriate for my current goals. This is NOT a cardio program, which is partly why I want to include some of my own to counterbalance the lack. Resting pulse 55 this AM and I want to keep it nice and low.

Heavy? How many reps are you doing?
  • Witchdoctor58
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8-12, at maximum weight I can handle for each exercise to failure, with lovely muscle soreness the next day.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    what we are saying is that we know your program but its not going to put on those muscles you seem to want. It may lean your bodyfat out and make you feel like you have a more muscular look but its not designed to put on any serious amount of muscle.

A barbell focused program like strong curves, stronglifts 5x5, or starting strength is designed to do total body exercises and allow your body to put on actual muscle assuming y9ur eating in a calorie surplus or near maintainance calories.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    OP, if your TDEE is 2000, you aren't going to build muscle eating 1600-1700 cals. As mentioned it takes a calorie surplus to build muscle. (Or at the very least maintenance for slower recomp gains.) You aren't going to build muscle in a deficit.